BreakingOil & GasTop Story

Russia completely and partially cut off 13 EU countries from gas

1.5k
Advertisement




No fewer than 13 EU countries have either completely stopped receiving Russian gas or are partially cut off from it following Russia’s closure of Nord Stream Pipeline 1.

“13 EU states are completely or partially cut off from Russian gas,” Russia’s state-run Tass news agency said in a report monitored by Persecondnews.com.

“As you know, Nord Stream 1 has been closed for maintenance since yesterday, that is, there are no Russian gas supplies to Germany and neighbouring EU countries,” the official said.

Russian state energy company Gazprom confirmed on Wednesday that Nord Stream 1 was closed temporarily for maintenance from August 31 until September 3.

Gazprom, which cut the supply through the 1,224-kilometre pipeline to 40 per cent of capacity in June and to 20 per cent in July, said that the “only gas compressor unit” that was currently in operation had to undergo technical maintenance.

“Upon the completion of the maintenance operations, provided that no malfunctions are identified, gas transmission will be resumed at the rate of 33 million cubic metres per day,” the company said last month.

Germany, the main recipient of gas supplies via the pipeline, is prepared for the outage, officials said on Wednesday.

“I assume that we will be able to cope with it,” Klaus Mueller, president of the German network regulator told Reuters.

“I trust that Russia will return to at least 20 per cent from Saturday, but no one can really say.”

Meanwhile, Gazprom also said on Wednesday that it will stop gas supplies to French energy company Engie over payment issues, a move which increases the risk of a widening supply gap.

See also  Buhari Express Shock, Grief Over Death of Former President Shah Shagari

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Breaking: Pres. Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Mr. .Abel Enitan as the incoming Head...

Tinubu to Homeland Security Adviser: Develop Five-Year National Defence Plan Within 90 Days

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National...

BREAKING: Security Repels Gunmen Targeting Governor Adeleke’s Entourage in Osogbo

A routine post-election visit turned chaotic on Wednesday when heavily armed assailants...

First Lady Remi Tinubu Unveils Food Bank, Buhari Estate, Health Centre in Ogun

First Lady Senator Oluremi Tinubu launched the South-West Zonal National Community Food...