Highlight

129 Dead In DR Congo Jail Break Attempt – Govt

1.3k
Advertisement




At least 129 people were killed during a weekend prison break attempt at the largest jail in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the interior minister said on Tuesday.

“The provisional human toll is 129 dead, including 24 who were shot after warnings,” minister Jacquemain Shabani said in a video message, adding that at least 59 others had been wounded at the Makala prison in the capital, Kinshasa.

They included “24 who were shot after warnings,” he said.

Shabani added that witnesses heard gunfire at around 2:00 am on Monday and that it lasted for several hours in the area of the prison, a popular and residential neighborhood.

Daddi Soso, an electrician in his 40s, said he had seen security force vehicles taking bodies away in the early hours.
On Monday, police had cordoned off the streets leading to the prison.

The authorities gave no indication as to how many inmates had escaped or attempted to do so, but at mid-morning on Monday, government spokesman Patrick Muyaya told national television the situation was “under control.”

Author

See also  Death Toll Rises to 8 in Latest Lagos Building Collapse, 26 Survivors Rescued

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Alleged Abuja Police Brutality: Journalist Beaten with Electric Cable, Phone Destroyed

By Joycelyn Ellakeche Adah Police operatives in Lugbe, Abuja, have been accused...

Concerns mount over Ogogo’s health as colleagues hold special prayer session

By Segun Adebayo Colleagues of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Babatunde Hassan, widely...

2027 Election: Atiku Vows to Bring Back Fuel Subsidies

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate for 2027,...

Nigeria, UAE Move To Tackle Four-Year-Old Visa Challenges Head-On

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are advancing...