Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa
BreakingFeaturedTrending Story

#EndSARS Lekki Toll Plaza Report: Panel Member, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa Raises Alarm Over Personal Safety

126

 

Barely a week after the Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel on police brutality and the October 20, 2020 alleged massacre at the #EndSARS Lekki Toll Plaza in Lagos submitted its report, a member, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN), has cried out over threats to his life.

Adegboruwa, who represented the civil society groups on the panel of enquiry, said already an EndSARS protester, Kamsiyochukwu Ibe, who testified before the panel has been attacked and macheted.

Persecondnews.com had reported that the panel had on November 15 submitted its report to Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and since then the report has been in circulation with scathing condemnation and criticisms trailing the roles of the military and the police in the Lekki shooting as well as denials by senior federal government officials that live bullets were not fired or people killed.

Babajide Sanwo-Olu has since constituted a Committee to produce a White Paper on the report within two weeks for the consideration of the Lagos State Executive Council.

The report stated that at least nine persons were confirmed dead at the Lekki toll plaza when soldiers invaded the arena in the night to “disperse’’ EndSARS protesters on October 20, 2020.

The 309-page report stated, “The atrocious maiming and killing of unarmed, helpless and unresisting protesters while sitting on the floor and waving their Nigerian flags and while singing the National Anthem can be equated to a massacre in context.”

 

Some lawyers and agents representing the state government including Abiodun Owonikoko, have, however, faulted the report of the panel, noting that the report contained 40 discrepancies.

The fiery human rights lawyer said in a statement:“Since the submission of the report of the Lagos #EndSARS Panel, there have been lots of threats and attacks, by those suspected to be agents of the government, upon me, especially in the media.

 

“I have not committed any crime beyond joining other eminent Nigerians with unblemished integrity, to accept the nomination of government on behalf of my constituency, the Nigerian Bar Association and the civil society and the indeed the masses of our people, for a national assignment.

 

“Two prominent lawyers of the government have openly incited opinions against me on national television, with mindless accusations.

 

I have however refused to be intimidated or bend to the tactics of government to be silenced.’’

 

Pointing fingers at the government, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa also stated: “I urge the good people of Nigeria, my professional colleagues in the Nigerian Bar Association, my comrades in the civil rights movement and the people of Nigeria, to hold government responsible should anything happen to me.

 

“Just last night, one of the prominent EndSARS protesters who testified before the Panel, Miss Kamsiyochukwu Ibe, was attacked and dealt serious machete blows, in what was clearly an attempted murder, as reported by her counsel, with very disturbing photos.

 

“I heeded the clarion call to serve by the government with the honest believe that the Panel was meant to say the truth and nothing but the truth, which is what we have done. It is left for government and Nigerians to do the needful with the report of the Panel.

“God bless Nigeria.’’

Many well-meaning Nigerians and organizations including a newspaper publisher and former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mr Bayo Onanuga, the Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria and some PDP lawmakers in the House of Representatives had called for the resignation or sack of Information Minister Lai Mohammed for “telling a lie, denying that there was no massacre.’’

 

Mohammed had stridently claimed that there was no evidence to show that any protester was killed at the Lekki tollgate on October 20, 2020 during a press conference held in Abuja who young people took to the streets nationwide to mark the first anniversary of the EndSARS protests.

 

He also faulted the claim by Amnesty International that no fewer than 12 protesters were killed in Lagos State by security operatives during the EndSARS protest, describing the claim as a ‘phantom’.

 

 

Mohammed asked the highly reputed Cable News Network (CNN), DJ Switch among others to “apologise for misleading the world that there was a massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate and for portraying the Nigerian military, police and other security agencies in a bad light.”

 

 

Onanuga said:”Nigeria is the only country in the world where public officials rarely resign, when they betray public trust egregiously or openly lie to the people.

 

“We now know the truth that there was indeed a massacre of defenceless young Nigerians by soldiers and policemen at the Lekki Toll Gate on 20-10-2020, contrary to the official lies that it didn’t happen.”

 

On the disinformation about the state-organized massacre of unarmed protesting youths at the plaza by security forces including soldiers, Onanuga said: “The man who told the biggest lie and even embarrassed Nigeria by demanding an apology from CNN is still sitting pretty in office.

 

“Now that his lies have blown  on his face, one expects that he should be honourable enough to resign and apologise to all those young Nigerians that he grossly offended.

 

“If he does not, one expects the President to demand his resignation letter. Nigeria deserves to be a country of honourable men and women.”

 

To President Muhammadu Buhari, Onanuga said:”Integrity should be our watchword. President Integrity, over to you…”

 

Meanwhile, the Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria has called for the dismissal, arrest, and trial of the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, for alleged falsehood as to what transpired at the Lekki tollgate, Lagos State on October 20th, 2020.

 

The organisation claimed the minister lied to Nigerians, adding that his claims have now been contradicted by a judicial panel in Lagos.

 

It said in a statement issued against the backdrop of the issuance of a conclusive judicial report by the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Investigations into the Lekki incident last year.

 

Though Mohammed had claimed there was no killing, the panel said there was a massacre in ‘context’.

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Breaking: Presidential aircraft’s technical fault forces VP Shettima to abort U.S. trip – spokesman 

A technical fault in the presidential aircraft forced Vice President Kashim Shettima...

Billionaire philanthropist Tony Elumelu mulls buying NPFL team

As part of his corporate social responsibility, billionaire banker and philanthropist Tony...

Terry G speaks on Davido, Wizkid, and Burna Boy rivalries, faces backlash from fans

Nigerian music sensation Terry G, also known as the Apako master, has...

Dani Alves pays €1m bail, set to leave Spanish jail

Former Brazil and Barcelona star Dani Alves, convicted of rape in Spain,...

World TB Day: 70 percent of TB cases in Africa now being diagnosed and treated – WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) has disclosed that about 70 percent of...

13th AAG: Tobi Amusan wins gold in women’s 100m hurdles

The Nigerian sprint star, Tobi Amusan, won gold in the women’s 100m...

FG approves N12.7bln for mass metering of army barracks nationwide

The Federal Government says it has released N12.7 billion to provide electricity...

Women’s Day: Tinubu felicitates women, vows to prioritise their welfare, rights

President Bola Tinubu has promised to prioritize the welfare of women, protect...

All African Games: Nigeria’s Flying Eagles start their campaign on a losing note

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria started their campaign in the men’s football...

EFCC sets up task force to combat dollarization of economy, mutilation of naira

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has announced the setting up...

Breaking: Seven days after, abducted Ekiti school children, teachers regain freedom

After seven days in the kidnappers’ den, the abducted students and teachers...

How Bafarawa diverted N4.6bln from ex-NSA for prayers, election, acquire luxury vehicles

A startling revelation has been made about how a former governor of...

CBN redeploys 1,500 staff to Lagos

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says it has redeployed 1,500 staff...

AFCON: Pres. Tinubu says unimpressed with Super Eagles’ performance

President Bola Tinubu has expressed his displeasure over the performance of the...

I’ve not met a man kind enough to marry —Ini Edo

In a candid revelation, renowned actress, Ini Edo, has hinted about the...

Ogun CP visits shot Nollywood actor, Ijaduade, vows to punish trigger-happy cop

Nollywood actor and Director, Azeez Ijaduade, who was shot “accidentally” by a...

Breaking: Actor, Azeez Ijaduade, allegedly shot by policeman in Ogun

In a shocking incident that has sent shock waves to Yoruba section...

Fast and furious actor, Vin Diesel, accused of sexual assault

Vin Diesel, known for his role in the Fast & Furious Series,...

Anyone asking for money this festive season lacks conscience, fear God – Comedian AY

Amid Nigeria’s challenging economic downturn, renowned comedian, Ayo Makun, popularly known as...

Octogenarian actor, Dejumo Lewis, dies

Nollywood community was on Friday night thrown into grief as the news...