HighlightWorld News

Senegal presidential poll: 44-year-old opposition leader, Bassirou Diomaye Faye, leads

722

Opposition leader Bassirou Diomaye Faye is leading in the early race in Senegal’s presidential election, according to local media.

Several of the 17 candidates have conceded to him, but Faye’s main rival, Amadou Ba, from the ruling coalition, said a run-off might happen to determine the winner.

Mr. Ba’s campaign organization said: “Considering the feedback of the results from our team of experts, we are certain that, in the worst-case scenario, we will go to a run-off.”

Persecondnews reports that millions took part in a peaceful vote on Sunday, following three years of turbulence and opposition protests against the incumbent, Macky Sall.

The first set of tallies announced on television showed Mr. Faye had won the majority of votes, triggering widespread street celebrations in the capital, Dakar.

Supporters set off fireworks, waved Senegalese flags, and blew vuvuzelas.

The results led to five opposition candidates declaring Mr. Faye the winner. Anta Babacar Ngom, the only female candidate, wished Mr. Faye success in a statement.

However, Mr. Faye has not yet commented.

The results being announced are from local media, tallying the results posted outside individual polling stations.

The number of polling stations counted so far, out of 15,633, remains unclear. Official results are expected by Tuesday.

Mr. Sonko backed Mr. Faye, the co-creator of his now-dissolved Pastef party, who was also detained almost a year ago on charges including defamation and contempt of court.

This month’s amnesty law permitted their release days before the vote.

They have campaigned together under the banner “Diomaye is Sonko.” Some high-profile politicians and opposition candidates have backed Mr. Faye’s candidature.

“The population is choosing between continuation and rupture,” Mr. Faye said after casting his vote, urging contenders to accept the winner.

Mr. Sall, the incumbent, was not on the ballot for the first time in Senegal’s history. His ruling coalition picked Mr. Ba, 62, a former prime minister.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NNPCL announces new eight-member management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has unveiled a new eight-member...

Abuja AWVCC: Al-Ahly of Egypt Dominates Soccocim of Senegal in Straight Sets

Record holders Al-Ahly of Egypt secured a convincing straight-set win (25-10, 25-14,...

Updated: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s lawyer pushes for consolidated hearing amid interview ban, case adjourned until May 12

Mr. Jibril Okutepa (SAN), counsel to the suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has...

Tinubu’s Adviser on Political Affairs, Dr. Baba-Ahmed, Quits

Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office...

Updated: Appeal Court lacks jurisdiction to enter any pronouncement in favour of Abure – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has ruled that the Appeal Court overstepped its bounds...

Just in: Akpabio denies Akpoti-Uduaghan’s assassination claim, calls allegation false, malicious

Few days after suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan accused him of working with...

Just in: Court bars parties in Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suit against Akpabio, others from press interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a gag order, prohibiting...

Court halts Pro-Wike rally in Bayelsa, adjourns until April 11 for hearing

A scheduled April 12 rally in support of Minister of the Federal...

Rivers Assembly bombing: Court restrains Police, SSS from arresting Fubara’s Chief of Staff, Ehie

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has issued an...

Oil price takes a hit, slides 6.8% to $69.90 per barrel due to Trump’s tariff

The price of Nigeria’s Bonny Light on Thursday dropped to $69.90 per...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...