COVID-19 Misinformation: Facebook, WHO launch new campaign across Africa
Facebook and Covid 19
FeaturedHighlightTrending StoryWorld News

COVID-19 Misinformation: Facebook, WHO launch new campaign across Africa

520

 

By Ajuma Edwina Ameh

 

To connect people to accurate information and reduce misinformation on its platforms, Facebook is launching a new campaign in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO) tagged, “Together Against Covid-19 Misinformation’’.

The campaign will roll out to people in English and French across South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Nigeria, Senegal, Côte d’Ivoire and DRC, and will pop on Facebook through a series of graphics with tips on how to spot false news.

Last month, Facebook announced the biggest worldwide campaign https://bit.ly/3cGJamf to promote authoritative information about Covid-19 vaccines, working to remove false vaccine claims, reduce distribution of inaccurate health information, and inform people about effective vaccine delivery.

According to a statement issued by the social media platform on Monday, the tips on how to spot false news will include checking the source, checking how it makes you feel as false news can manipulate feelings for click and checking the context.

“As part of the campaign, Facebook will also be launching a dedicated website; https://bit.ly/3fwscsN, in English and French, which will include information on how we are tackling misinformation on our platforms.

“It will give people more transparency around our Remove, Reduce and Inform strategy, outline our community standards, and share the steps we are taking to combat false news around global events such as Covid-19, elections and climate change,” the statement said.

Commenting, the Public Policy Manager, Aïda Ndiaye, said: “Ensuring users are getting authoritative information about Covid-19 vaccines is just some of the vital work we are doing here at Facebook.

“During the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, we will continue working with industry experts and people on our platforms to ensure we are aggressively tackling misinformation and giving people additional resources to scrutinize content they see online, helping them decide what to read, trust and share.”

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NNPCL announces new eight-member management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has unveiled a new eight-member...

Abuja AWVCC: Al-Ahly of Egypt Dominates Soccocim of Senegal in Straight Sets

Record holders Al-Ahly of Egypt secured a convincing straight-set win (25-10, 25-14,...

Updated: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s lawyer pushes for consolidated hearing amid interview ban, case adjourned until May 12

Mr. Jibril Okutepa (SAN), counsel to the suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has...

Tinubu’s Adviser on Political Affairs, Dr. Baba-Ahmed, Quits

Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office...

Updated: Appeal Court lacks jurisdiction to enter any pronouncement in favour of Abure – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has ruled that the Appeal Court overstepped its bounds...

Just in: Akpabio denies Akpoti-Uduaghan’s assassination claim, calls allegation false, malicious

Few days after suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan accused him of working with...

Just in: Court bars parties in Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suit against Akpabio, others from press interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a gag order, prohibiting...

Court halts Pro-Wike rally in Bayelsa, adjourns until April 11 for hearing

A scheduled April 12 rally in support of Minister of the Federal...

Rivers Assembly bombing: Court restrains Police, SSS from arresting Fubara’s Chief of Staff, Ehie

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has issued an...

Oil price takes a hit, slides 6.8% to $69.90 per barrel due to Trump’s tariff

The price of Nigeria’s Bonny Light on Thursday dropped to $69.90 per...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...