Highlight

EFCC’s Allegations Against Me Are Illogical – Malami Speaks Out

875
Advertisement




Former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has emphatically rejected claims by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he duplicated the recovery process for the $322.5 million Abacha loot (which was initially valued at $310 million before interest).

In a statement signed by his media aide, Mohammed Doka, on Sunday, November 30, Malami labeled the EFCC’s allegations as “baseless, illogical, and wholly devoid of substance.”

He, however, confirmed that the EFCC invited him on November 28 regarding alleged abuse of office and money laundering related to the recovery process.

He said both accusations collapsed when subjected to factual scrutiny.

Persecondnews recalls that Malami had on November 29 revealed that his engagement with the EFCC, following the commission’s invitation, was “successful.”

“The EFCC’s position is that I duplicated a recovery process allegedly completed by a Swiss lawyer, Mr. Enrico Monfrini, before I assumed office.

“This allegation collapses immediately when subjected to facts and elementary logic,” Malami said.

Malami insisted no such recovery had been completed before he took office in 2015, noting that recovered funds can only be considered complete upon lodgement into the Federation Account.

“As at 2016, there was no lodgement of any such funds into the Federation Account. There was therefore no completed recovery in existence, and nothing whatsoever to duplicate,” he said.

He further revealed that Monfrini himself applied in December 2016 to be re-engaged for the same recovery—proof, he said, that the claim of prior completion was illogical.

“It is entirely illogical for a lawyer to apply in December 2016 to be engaged to recover funds he purportedly recovered two years earlier.

See also  Missing N4.1bn: Probe yourself, invite EFCC to investigate, SERAP tells National Assembly leadership

“That singular fact exposes the internal contradiction and absurdity of the EFCC’s narrative,” Malami stated.

According to him, Monfrini demanded a $5 million upfront deposit and a success fee of 40 %—later reduced to 20%—terms the Buhari administration rejected.

Instead, a Nigerian law firm was hired on a 5% success-fee arrangement, which he said saved the country between 15% and 35% of the recovered funds, amounting to between N76.8 billion and N179.2 billion.

“These are concrete, measurable benefits to the Nigerian state,” he said.

Malami also clarified that he oversaw multiple, distinct tranches of Abacha loot:

– $322.5 million from Switzerland (2017–2018) deployed to Conditional Cash Transfers under World Bank-monitored transparency mechanisms;
– About $321 million from Jersey (2020) earmarked for major infrastructure projects, including the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Abuja-Kano Road and Second Niger Bridge.

“Any attempt to conflate these distinct recoveries or to portray a lawful, cost-saving recovery process as duplication is misleading,” he added.

He stressed that the constitutional powers of the Attorney-General in asset recovery were exercised “strictly in the public interest.”

“In the circumstances of this case, that discretion was exercised transparently and responsibly.

“Any claim suggesting abuse of office or money laundering is not rooted in any reasonable ground for suspicion,” he said.

Malami thanked his supporters nationwide and described the probe as a political witch-hunt.

“Together we shall continue to stand firm, and together we shall triumph against every form of political witch-hunt and intimidation,” he said.

He expressed the confidence that the investigation would vindicate him.

“The allegations remain baseless, illogical and entirely devoid of substance. I remain confident that truth, law and reason will ultimately prevail,” he declared.

See also  Tinubu extols Carrington, says he fought repressive government in Nigeria

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NISO, NBET Move to Tackle Power Sector Liquidity Crisis, Attract New Investment

By Joycelyn Ellakeche Adah The Nigerian Independent System Operator (NISO) and the...

National Peace Committee to Track Parties’ Compliance With 2027 Election Accord

By Omoyeni Ojeifo With 2027 general election campaigns set to kick off...

2027 Elections: Parties Sign National Peace Accord for Violence-Free Campaigns

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Ahead of the 2027 general election, the National Peace...

Abuja Welcomes 3,000 Delegates for 2026 World PR Forum on Misinformation, Trust

By Omoyeni Ojeifo As fake news and misinformation undermine global public trust,...