HighlightTrending Story

Subsidy removal: FG, TUC agree on two weeks deadline to resolve issues

639

The Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) has agreed to give the Federal Government a two-week ultimatum to address some of its demands over the petrol subsidy removal.

The decision followed a meeting convened by the Minister of Labour and Employment and immediate past governor of Plateau State, Mr Solomon Lalong, to resolve TUC’s and Nigeria Labour Congress’ differences with the government and also to avert the warning strike by the organised labour.

According to Lalong, the issues for which a two-week timeline was set for their resolution include wage awards for federal civil servants to cushion the effect of rising poverty among them, and tax exemption for a certain level of workers, both in the public and private sectors.

Other issues include putting structures in place to ensure effective implementation of the palliatives by the Federal Government for the states and the FCT, as well as to set out the modalities for accessing the N70 billion proposed for the funding of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).

The parties also agreed that there would be no strike within this peace period of two weeks, “while we are doing deliberations and also working towards realising some of these objectives”, Lalong further disclosed.

The President of TUC, Comrade Festus Osifo, said the two-week timeline was reasonable as it would give government ample time to address the issues.

Osifo said their demands, as contained in a communique earlier issued by the Congress, include resolving the impasse between Lagos State Government and Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN), increasing the amount provided for palliative as the sum of N5 billion allocated per state is inadequate to ameliorate the sufferings of Nigerians.

Persecondnews reports that last week, at a news conference, the Minister had implored Nigeria Labour Congress to suspend its planned two-day warning strike scheduled for September 5 and 6 as such action would be detrimental to the gains already recorded by government in securing a “greater future” for Nigerian workers and citizens.

The Minister reassured Nigerian workers that government “would never take them for granted or fail to appreciate their support and understanding.”

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...

‘Small Girl, Big God’ – Korra Obidi celebrates US citizenship amid mixed reactions

Popular dancer and social media sensation Korra Obidi has officially become a...

Dayo Amusa reflects on motherhood and life’s trials in emotional post

Nollywood actress and singer Dayo Amusa is starting the new month with...

Annie Idibia embraces new chapter, partying seriously with Regina Daniels, others

Just weeks after leaving a rehabilitation facility, actress and estranged wife of...

NNPC Ltd Welcomes New GCEO, Board as Kyari Bows Out

The management and the staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited...

After 8-year incarceration, South African court acquits Nigerian televangelist Omotoso of rape charges

After eight years of incarceration, a South African court has found a...

Just in: Algiers-Abuja direct flights commence April 6 – Foreign Affairs Ministry

In a bid to foster stronger diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria...

Assassination allegation: Kogi govt. dismisses Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s claim as malicious, false

As reactions continue to trail the assassination allegation made by Sen. Natasha...

2025 National Police Day: FCT Police Kick Off Activities With Community Outreach, Clean-Up Exercise

In its effort to foster community policing and robust police-community relations, the...

NSC DG Olopade Congratulates Kida, New NNPCL Board Chair, Hopes for Better Synergy

The Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Bukola Olopade, has...

Saka Makes Triumphant Return Winning Goal as Arsenal Defeat Fulham 2-1

By Samuel Akpan with agency report Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka made a triumphant...

Nigeria’s Net Foreign Exchange Reserves Hit $23.11bln in 2024, Highest in Three Years

Nigeria’s net foreign exchange (FX) reserves reached a three-year high of $23.11...

Nigeria to Enforce “Drill or Drop” Policy to Boost Oil Production – Lokpobiri

The Federal Government has announced plans to enforce the “drill or drop”...