Determined to deliver the project on schedule and speedily, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) says construction work on the Port Harcourt Refinery rehabilitation has begun with the job-creating potential for at least 3,000 people including expatriates.
NNPC has, therefore, given a firm commitment to ensure that the project is delivered hitch-free and on schedule.
The corporation’s Chief Operating Officer, Refineries and Petrochemicals, Engr. Mustapha Yakubu, said at the Technical kick-off meeting for the project held at the Port Harcourt Refinery Complex, Alesa Eleme, Rivers State, that “everything about the project had been carefully worked out to ensure that the target of at least 90 per cent refining capacity is achieved when operational.
“It must be hitch-free and that is why we are engaging the host communities appropriately. 200 million Nigerians are looking up to us and we can’t afford to fail. We’ve been on this journey since 2019,” Yakubu said in a statement.
Signed by the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division of the NNPC, Dr Kennie Obateru, a copy of the statement was emailed to Persecondnews on Friday.
The COO disclosed that the project would require 3,000 workers at the peak of activities, stressing that out of that number there would be only 70 expatriates while the balance would be sourced locally in line with the local content policy.
He expressed gratitude to the Federal Government for approving $1.5 million for the project.
Speaking earlier via a message delivered on his behalf by the Chief Financial Officer of the Corporation, Mr. Umar Ajiya, the Group Managing Director of NNPC, Mallam Mele Kyari, assured Nigerians that the Port Harcourt Refinery Company (PHRC) would roar back to life on or before April 5, 2023, when repairs would have been completed on the old refinery also known as Area 5.
He said the target was to fix the old refinery first so that local refining can resume as soon as possible, adding that NNPC management would do everything to support the contractor, Maire Technimont SPA to ensure prompt delivery of the project.
Kyari said: “We are happy we have the contractor onboard. With strong collaboration of all parties involved, we will achieve the desired results. We have both government and private sector financing.
“We have the finance ministry, NEITI, labour unions and other stakeholders on board this project. They want to see transparency so they can report same to Nigerians and this is one of the most transparent processes ever.’’
In his presentation, the Managing Director of PHRC, Engr. Ahmed Dikko, said that all the process plants had been made hydrocarbon-free to enable the contractor carry out the rehabilitation work safely.
The representative of Maire Technimont SPA, Mr Masu Alberto, said the rehabilitation journey started in 2017 with integrity test of the refinery.
“In 2019, we did work on it and then now. We’re deploying a good number of engineers.”
He listed some of the key activities that would be carried out to include refurbishing of the technical building, replacement of the fire-fighting and deluge sprinkler systems, refurbishing of 24 offsite tanks, replacement of electrical equipment in substation, installation of primary earthing integration and new lighting system.
The project, he added, would also involve the replacement of pumps, turbines, one expander, boilers, three compressor fans and blowers, tanks, vessel and drums among other items equipment.