Journalism of Courage

Soldiers say over hundred killed in Boko Haram attack, dozens still unaccounted for in Viral Video

Some members of the Nigerian Military have confirmed claims that Boko Haram militants killed over a hundred of Nigerian troops in an attack on a remote military base in Borno state.

ISWAP in Al-Naba confirmed Friday that it carried out attacks on a military base in Metele, on 18th and a second one on 19th/20th, when the military went to collect the fallen comrades. In all, the terror group claimed to have killed 100 Nigerian soldiers.

In the five-minute video released on Saturday, a soldier narrating in the background shows the burnt shells of several tanks and vehicles at the Metele base, which was attacked by the IS-affiliated Islamic State West Africa Province on November 18.

“See the weapons they bring here. These are not working,” said a voice behind the video.

These are outdated vehicles, they are not working. They just keep them here for formality,” said the soldier.

“Imagine, they are killing us every day,” he said. “The situation is getting worse.”

The fatigued, ill-equipped troops have reached breaking point, they said.

“The situation in the northeast is deteriorating,” said one security source, speaking on condition of anonymity with Reuters last week.

“They are running out of weapons, ammo and basic equipment. They are exhausted.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has warned against the spread of fake videos of troops.

The army on its official Facebook page said on Saturday that it would henceforth report and file cases against individuals or groups who deliberately spread fake news that aims to undermine national security, in courts.

“It is indeed shocking to see how these well doctored propaganda materials from enemies of the state have succeeded in creating fear and unrest in the polity. These doctored materials are obviously serving the purposes intended by the terrorists to mis-inform the populace, spread panic, hatred, religious intolerance and above all to undermine national security.

“The army wants to categorically state that the videos and images making rounds as the purported attack on Metele base are false and do not in any way portray the reality of the situation on the ground.

 

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More