HighlightTop Story

Sack heads of security agencies, angry senators lash out at Buhari

1k
Advertisement




Senators complained angrily Tuesday over the spate of killings across the country, saying there was total leadership failure in the handling of security challenges in Nigeria.

Senators in their dozens urged President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the security heads.

The senators expressed anger saying there is need for the security chiefs to be replaced in order to inject fresh blood, ideas and vigour in the fight against the wanton killings in the land.

Senator Solomon Adeola Olamilekan, APC, Lagos West, said no where was safe in the country anymore. He called for the immediate removal, from office, of all the service chiefs, said  the security chiefs have failed to proffer solutions to incessant insecurity involving loss of hundreds of lives of Nigerians.

“I want to commend the leadership of the Senate for the Security Summit it organised recently and the report and recommendations. But so far, the security situation has not improved and what the President needs at this time is fresh ideas on how to tackle numerous security challenges confronting the nation.

” Fresh ideas needed He argued that the only way to get fresh ideas for the President to address the security challenges was to remove the incumbent service chiefs to give room for those with fresh ideas. “We know the way the military organisations operate. Those with fresh ideas dare not come out against their superiors or else they risk premature retirement from service.

Senator Jeremiah Useni, PDP, Plateau South East, identified the constant clashes among security agencies as part of the security problems, asking that heads of such agencies be removed to pave way for more harmonious relationship among security.

See also  Gunmen kill couple, five policemen in Imo

Nigeria is facing a time of uncertainty and peril, according to security experts.

President Buhari’s December 2016 declaration that the army had conquered Boko Haram’s last stronghold raised hopes the conflict was ending. But, 16 months on, the insurgency remains very much alive. Fighters continue to attack civilians and military targets with new ferocity.

Fresh indications shows that Boko Haram is gradually establishing new forest camps in Borno and Taraba states, and setting up new cells in Yobe, Kaduna, Kogi and Niger states. There are also indications that the military, which has units deployed in 28 of the 36 states, is overstretched and unable to provide troops with sufficient resources. Some exhausted troops are complaining of not being rotated.

 

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Three Days After Osun Poll, APC’s Oyebamiji Concedes to Gov. Adeleke

Three days after losing the August 15 Osun governorship election, Mr. Bola...

Afrophobia: Private Donors Fund Return of 83 Nigerians From South Africa

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Eighty-three Nigerians are expected to return home from South...

My father is battling stage four cancer, Kira, Ogogo’s daughter cries out

By Segun Adebayo Kira Taiwo, daughter of veteran Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan,...

Breaking: Disastrous WAFCON/World Cup Runs:NFF Fires Super Falcons Coaching Crew

Following an unprecedented dismal performance in the just-concluded WAFCON in Morroco, the...