Highlight

Ibadan explosion: Spaces for Change calls for swift succour to victims, high-powered investigation

924

Spaces for Change (S4C) has condemned in totality the January 16, 2024, explosion in Ibadan, Oyo State capital, triggered by the activities of illegal miners, demanding a thorough investigation into the tragic incident.

This explosion has, so far, resulted in the tragic loss of two lives, leaving 77 people injured and resulting in damages to properties worth millions of Naira as well as rendering scores of people homeless.

A statement by Victoria Ibezim-Ohaneri, the Executive Director of Spaces for Change, emailed to Persecondnews said the activities of illegal mining operations continue to be a severe clog to the growth and development of the national economy, with the accompanying tragic loss of lives and properties that it leaves in its wake.

“Their activities in the North West, North Central, and South West geopolitical zones, respectively, have substantially contributed to the insecurity in the area, which has led to the continuous loss of lives, properties, and displacements in the region.

“While these events may not be closely related, the evils of illegal mining activities leave in their trail nothing short of destruction.

“It is an activity that, over the years, has been one of our core areas of engagement as an organization, with a clear mission to ensure that stakeholders understand the destructive nature of its illegal usage and how citizens remain the highest recipients of its damages.

“As our extant law on mining operations provides, illegal mining is prohibited under Section 2 of the Nigeria Mineral and Mining Act. Its prohibition by law shows how destructive its continuance would be, as unchecked activities of this magnitude leave nothing short of destruction to lives and properties.

“As our thoughts and prayers remain with the victims of this tragic incident, we call on the government to continue to offer much-needed succour to the victims of this incident,’’ S4C executive director said,

Ibezim-Ohaneri thanked the government of Oyo State for assuming the responsibility of paying the medical bills of the injured victims and urged the government at the federal level and all relevant agencies to ensure that the perpetrators of these vile actions are brought to book.

“We also implore the federal government to wake up to its regulatory responsibility for the activities of the mining operations in the country to ensure compliance with the statutory provisions of our extant laws.’’

 

 

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...

‘Small Girl, Big God’ – Korra Obidi celebrates US citizenship amid mixed reactions

Popular dancer and social media sensation Korra Obidi has officially become a...

Dayo Amusa reflects on motherhood and life’s trials in emotional post

Nollywood actress and singer Dayo Amusa is starting the new month with...

Annie Idibia embraces new chapter, partying seriously with Regina Daniels, others

Just weeks after leaving a rehabilitation facility, actress and estranged wife of...

NNPC Ltd Welcomes New GCEO, Board as Kyari Bows Out

The management and the staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited...

After 8-year incarceration, South African court acquits Nigerian televangelist Omotoso of rape charges

After eight years of incarceration, a South African court has found a...

Just in: Algiers-Abuja direct flights commence April 6 – Foreign Affairs Ministry

In a bid to foster stronger diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria...

Assassination allegation: Kogi govt. dismisses Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s claim as malicious, false

As reactions continue to trail the assassination allegation made by Sen. Natasha...

2025 National Police Day: FCT Police Kick Off Activities With Community Outreach, Clean-Up Exercise

In its effort to foster community policing and robust police-community relations, the...

NSC DG Olopade Congratulates Kida, New NNPCL Board Chair, Hopes for Better Synergy

The Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Bukola Olopade, has...

Saka Makes Triumphant Return Winning Goal as Arsenal Defeat Fulham 2-1

By Samuel Akpan with agency report Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka made a triumphant...

Nigeria’s Net Foreign Exchange Reserves Hit $23.11bln in 2024, Highest in Three Years

Nigeria’s net foreign exchange (FX) reserves reached a three-year high of $23.11...

Nigeria to Enforce “Drill or Drop” Policy to Boost Oil Production – Lokpobiri

The Federal Government has announced plans to enforce the “drill or drop”...

FCT Police warn against unauthorized hiking, camping

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has issued a stern warning...

Disputed Edo guber poll: Abuja Tribunal delivers judgment in PDP’s petition on April 2

The Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal is set to deliver its judgment...

Just in: Police caution suspended Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan against homecoming amid tension in her constituency

As suspended Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan gears up for a highly anticipated return...

MicCom CEO, Adubi, establishes partnerships with OAU, UI

“The collaboration saw MicCom introduce a range of initiatives, including research grants...