HighlightTrending Story

South Africa Gas Explosion: No Nigerian casualty — Consul General

1.5k
Advertisement




Amb. Andrew Idi, Nigeria’s Consul General to South Africa, says there were no Nigerian casualties during the underground gas explosions in Johannesburg last week.

An underground gas explosion rocked Bree and Rissik streets, known to be very busy and commercial streets in Johannesburg on July 19.

“I sent a team to visit the incident scene and they reported that none of our nationals was affected.

“To God be the glory, in spite of the extensive damage caused to the area and high level of traffic at that time. Reports so far received by the Consulate General said no Nigerian was a victim,’’ he said.

Idi said residents and businesses in the streets had been relocated because of the extensive damage caused by the underground explosion.

“The areas have been cordoned off completely. The government has commenced investigation on the site and they want to establish the integrity of physical structures in the affected areas before they will allow people to return to their houses.

“It’s only the expert team doing the investigation that is allowed in the areas,’’ he said.

Idi said reports from the South African government showed that one person died while 48 were wounded as a result of the underground explosion.

The envoy also said the Consulate is on top of the situation to ensure the safety of Nigerians living in the affected areas.

Author

See also  Nigerians in South Africa raise alarm over fresh terror attacks

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Breaking: Disastrous WAFCON/World Cup Runs:NFF Fires Super Falcons Coaching Crew

Following an unprecedented dismal performance in the just-concluded WAFCON in Morroco, the...

Osun Poll: Situation Room Nigeria Flags BVAS Glitches, Vote Buying, Logistics Gaps Ahead of 2027

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Despite a peaceful turnout for Saturday’s Osun governorship election,...

How NDLEA Denied Traffickers N301Bln in Illicit Drug Investments

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nearly 330 tonnes of illicit drugs that could have...

Flood Disaster Hits Abuja: 74 Vehicles Submerged as Several Areas Ravaged

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The aftermath of the severe weekend flood in Gudu,...