Alhaji Lai Mohamned
Top Story

2023 polls: No cause for alarm — Lai Mohammed

1k
Advertisement




In spite of apprehensions about the conduct of 2023 elections as a result of insecurity, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has assured Nigerians that there is no cause for alarm.

The Minister reaffirmed that the Federal Government remains resolute and unwavering in holding the elections scheduled for February 25 and March 11 by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

He gave the assurance at the 17th edition of the President Muhammadu Buhari scorecard series in Abuja on Tuesday covered by Persecondnews.

Mohammed also said the synergy between INEC and the various security agencies will ensure elections are held in a peaceful atmosphere.

“Let me use this opportunity to respond to inquiries from the media over a widely-circulated report, credited to an INEC official that the 2023 general elections face a serious threat of cancellation due to insecurity.

“The position of the Federal Government remains that the 2023 elections will be held as planned. Nothing has happened to change that position.

“We are aware that INEC is working wth the security agencies to ensure that the elections are successfully held across the country.

“The security agencies have also continued to assure Nigerians that they are working tirelessly to ensure that the elections are held in a peaceful atmosphere. Therefore, there is no cause for alarm,” the minister said.

Persecondnews had earlier reported during the Validation of Election Security Training Resources on Monday that Prof. Abdu Zuru, the Chairman, Board of Electoral Institute (BEI), representing the INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, raised fears that the general elections might be cancelled or postponed if the security situation did not improve.

See also  61st Independence Anniversary: FG Issues Security Alert

Yakubu had said:“Moreover, if the insecurity is not monitored and dealt with decisively, it could ultimately culminate in the cancellation and/or postponement of elections in sufficient constituencies to hinder declaration of elections results and precipitate constitutional crisis.

“This must not be allowed to happen and shall not be allowed to happen.”

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Breaking: Pres. Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Mr. .Abel Enitan as the incoming Head...

Tinubu to Homeland Security Adviser: Develop Five-Year National Defence Plan Within 90 Days

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National...

BREAKING: Security Repels Gunmen Targeting Governor Adeleke’s Entourage in Osogbo

A routine post-election visit turned chaotic on Wednesday when heavily armed assailants...

First Lady Remi Tinubu Unveils Food Bank, Buhari Estate, Health Centre in Ogun

First Lady Senator Oluremi Tinubu launched the South-West Zonal National Community Food...