Highlight

2 weeks after Buhari’s visit to South Africa, another Nigerian stabbed to death

890
Advertisement




by Kunle Akinsola

 

Barely two weeks after President Muhammadu Buhari visited South Africa in the wake of xenophobic attacks, another Nigerian has been killed in one of the suburbs of the country.

Ikenna Innocent Otugo from Anambra State, was reportedly killed at Empangeni in the Kwazulu Natal Province on Oct. 15.

Otugo, 41, and a native of Nimo in Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra, was believed to have been stabbed to death following a business disagreement.

Confirming the development, Mr Sylvester Okonkwo, the Acting Chairman of Nigerian Union in South Africa (NUSA) in the Province, said the deceased, a cell phone engineer, had repaired a phone for a woman, who was not satisfied with job done.

“The female client was not satisfied with the work done by Otugo and she decided to bring some men who allegedly stabbed the victim.

“Otugo died on the way to the hospital following the stabbing. We have reported the incident to the police and national secretariat of our union, NUSA.

“His (Otugo’s) body is now in the mortuary awaiting autopsy,’’ he said.

Okonkwo said Otugo is survived by a nine-year-old son.

Also confirming the incident, Mr Adetola Olubajo, the President of NUSA in South Africa, said the body’s national secretariat had been informed.

President Buhari and his South African counterpart, Cyril Ramaphosa had signed about 30 business and other bilateral agreements during Buhari’s visit early October.

Ramaphosa had apologised to the Nigerian leader for the several months of rounds of xenophobic violence, promising an end to the killings whle Buhari advised Nigerians living in the former aparthied enclave to be law-abiding.

See also  Breaking: IPMAN Secures Direct Supply Deal with Dangote Refinery, Promises Steady, Affordable Fuel Nationwide

“When you are in Rome, you behave as the Romans do,’’ Buhari admonished them.

But since then, there has not been organised xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

Hundreds of Nigerians were evacuated back home by Air Peace airline.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Just In: Olabiyi-Agoro Succeeds Festus Osifo as New PENGASSAN President

The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) has...

US Court Blocks Trump’s Visa Suspension for Nigeria, 74 Countries

A US federal judge has struck down the Trump administration’s policy suspending...

Peter Obi Launches 2027 Presidential Campaign with New Blueprint for Nigeria

Peter Obi, the presidential candidate for the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), has...

Tinubu Sets Up 2027 Presidential Campaign Machinery, Appoints Yari DG, Uzodimma Secretary

To kick off electioneering ahead of the 2027 general elections, President Bola...