Top Story

FG terminates Julius Berger’s N740bln Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano road project

"Julius Berger refused to remobilize to the site and comply with the reviewed terms, despite being given a seven-day ultimatum to accept the revised contract sum"

603

The Federal Ministry of Works has issued a 14-day termination notice to Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, handling the rehabilitation of the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano dual carriageway, citing non-compliance with the reviewed cost, scope, and terms.

In 2017, the ministry first awarded the contract, valued at N740 billion, for an initial sum of N155.748 billion, Persecondnews recalls.

However, after several variations and augmentations, the ministry re-scoped the contract and obtained approval from the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for a downward review to N740.797 billion.

According to Mohammed Ahmed, Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, in a statement, Julius Berger refused to remobilize to the site and comply with the reviewed terms, despite being given a seven-day ultimatum to accept the revised contract sum.

The statement said: “Based on non-compliance with reviewed cost, scope, and terms, stoppage of work, and refusal to remobilise to site, as directed, the Federal Ministry of Works has issued a 14-day Notice of Termination to Messrs Julius Berger (Nig.) Plc for the rehabilitation of Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano dual carriageway in FCT, Kaduna, and Kano states, contract No. 6350, Section I (Abuja-Kaduna), today (yesterday) November 4, 2024.

“The decision, which is borne out of several months of going back and forth without any meaningful progress, was reached at a management meeting of the ministry.

“The ministry has in the last 13 months been in constant talks with the company in order to reach an amiable position on the said alignment, but to no avail.

“Sections II (Kaduna-Zaria) and III (Zaria-Kano) were partially completed and handed over during the twilight of the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

“Since then it has been one variation and augmentation or the other, and finally, the present minister of works directed the redesigning and re-scoping of Section I of the contract.

“The alignment was divided into two, with one phase redesigned to be on Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP), while the remaining with asphaltic pavement.”

The company allegedly tampered with the bills of quantities and engineering measurements.

Three sections made up the contract, with Section I (Abuja-Kaduna) serving as the focal point of the termination.

Sections II (Kaduna-Zaria) and III (Zaria-Kano) were partially completed and handed over during former President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

The present Minister of Works directed the redesigning and re-scoping of Section I, dividing it into two phases: one with continuously reinforced concrete pavement (CRCP) and the other with asphaltic pavement.

The termination of the contract is seen as a significant development in the efforts to complete the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano dual carriageway project, which is crucial for connecting Abuja to the North.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Breaking: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s recall: INEC rejects petition, cites failure to meet constitutional requirements

The petition to recall Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central Senatorial District,...

CBN Debunks Introduction of N5,000, N10,000 Notes

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disowned a circular claiming the...

Pres. Tinubu off to France again on 2-week working visit

President Bola Tinubu will depart Abuja for Paris, France, on Wednesday, on...

Shake Up in NNPCL, Board, Group CEO Replaced

President Bola Tinubu has made significant changes to the Nigerian National Petroleum...

Breaking: Despite Security Concerns, Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan Receives Heroic Welcome in Kogi

Kogi Central Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has arrived in her constituency, defying attempts...

Rivers Chief of Staff Alleges N5bln Bribe Offer to Facilitate Fubara’s Impeachment

Edison Ehie, the Chief of Staff to the suspended Rivers Governor, Siminalayi...

Tinubu reveals how he almost quit 2023 presidential race amidst daunting odds

President Bola Tinubu on Saturday night shared a personal anecdote, revealing that...

First Lady, Remi, pens lovely felicitations to hubby, Pres. Tinubu @73

The First Lady, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, has congratulated her husband, President Bola...

Skyscraper Collapses in Thailand After Powerful Earthquake Hits Region, Multiple People Trapped

A high-rise building still under construction in Bangkok collapsed after a powerful...

Tony Elumelu Named to IMF’s Advisory Council on Entrepreneurship, Growth

Founder and Group Chair of Heirs Holdings, Tony O. Elumelu, CFR, has...

Just in: Reps backtrack on death penalty, immunity bills

In a stunning U-turn, the House of Representatives has reversed its stance...

Just in: Senate throws out motion to rename INEC hq after Prof. Nwosu

The Senate has rejected a proposal to rename the Independent National Electoral...

Just in: Bisola Kola-Daisi, late Oyo Gov. Ajimobi’s eldest child, 42, dies in London

Mrs. Bisola Kola-Daisi, 42-year-old eldest child of the late former Governor of...

Tinubu Reinforces NCDMB Governing Council with Strategic Nominees to Drive Industry Growth

President Bola Tinubu has reinforced the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board...

NASS Moves to Strip Vice Presidents, Governors, Deputies of Immunity, Bill Advances

A bill aimed at stripping the vice president, governors, and their deputies...

Natasha’s suspension: Sen. Nwaebonyi, Ezekwesili Engage in Heated Exchange at Senate Committee Hearing

…you are a hooligan – Ezekwesili A Senate hearing on a fresh...

NCS seizes N125m worth of smuggled petrol in largest bust in recent times

In a significant blow to fuel smugglers, about 125,000 litres of Premium...

Just in: Judge hands off Natasha’s case, cites Akpabio’s petition

The legal battle between suspended Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and the Nigerian Senate...