Journalism of Courage

Tragedy as Nigerian student in UK dies after eating ‘cannabis sweets’

According to reports, she was said to have bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home.

A Nigerian student studying in the United Kingdom (UK) has died after eating cannabis sweets she was reported to have bought from a messaging app. The student, identified as Damilola Grace Olakanmi, 23, was a Business Law undergraduate at the University of Hertfordshire, Persecondnews gathered.

According to reports, she was said to have bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home.

Persecondnews further gathered that Olakanmi and a 21-year-old friend immediately fell ill at their home in South Park Drive, Ilford at 11:30 pm on March 29, after eating the gummies.

Olakanmi was taken by an air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, in critical condition, while her friend, a student from the United States visiting the UK, was later discharged from the hospital.

Read Also: Tigers kill at least 300 people in India in three years

Meanwhile, a justice campaigner and relative, Richard Taylor, consoled Wunmi, the student’s mother, who kept vigil by her daughter’s bedside as she fought for her life in an East London hospital, where she died on Saturday.

“Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now. They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.

“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.

“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law,” Taylor said.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More