Following possible retaliation on US citizens in Iraq, the United States of America (USA) has ordered its citizens to leave Iraq immediately, after the killing of the head of Iranian’s elite Quds Force, Gen. Qassim Soleimani.
The United States killed 62-year-old Gen. Soleimani, in an airstrike at Baghdad’s international airport.
The strike ordered by President Donald Trump, also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a commander in the Mobilization Force militia.
According to President Trump, the General was “directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions of people.”
Tweeting on Friday, Trump stated: “Soleimani had killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans… and was plotting to kill many more and should have been taken out many years ago.
“While Iran will never be able to properly admit it, Soleimani was both hated and feared within the country.”
The US embassy said in a statement on Friday: “US citizens should depart via airline while possible, and failing that, to other countries via land.”
The State Department further added that the US embassy in Baghdad, which was attacked by Iran-backed militiamen and other protesters earlier this week, is closed and all consular services have been suspended.
However, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has warned that “severe revenge awaits the criminals” behind the attack, as he announced three days of national mourning.
Also, President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani, said in a statement on Friday that, “Iran and the free nations of the region would take revenge on the United States for the killing.”
Meanwhile, Iran has named Esmail Qaani, as the new Quds chief after Gen. Soleimani killing.
Qaani was the deputy head of the Revolutionary Guards’ foreign operations arm.