HighlightSports

Chelsea star Diego Costa officially completes move to Atletico Madrid

296

[dropcap]D[/dropcap]iego Costa has officially completed his move from Chelsea to Atletico Madrid, the clubs announced on Tuesday evening.

After Costa fell out of favour at Stamford Bridge last season, a deal was agreed last week to allow Costa to return his former club.

And Costa has now agreed personal terms with Atletico and can join training before he’s registered to play at the opening of the next transfer window on Jan. 1.

“I am very happy to be returning home,” Costa told Atletico’s website. “I have always said it, Atletico is my club and I am very, very, very happy. I am really looking forward to being able to contribute.

“I will give everything for the team as I always have. I want to thank [Atletico CEO] Miguel Angel Gil especially, and all the club, for the effort they made to bring this forward.”

Atletico said Costa will wear the No. 18 shirt but revealed neither the price of a transfer fee nor the length of the striker’s contract, which the 28-year old signed after undergoing medicals on Saturday and Monday.

Reports in Spain last week said that Costa would sign a contract through June 2021 and would be Atletico’s most expensive signing at €55m (£48.5m), plus €10m (£8.8m) in variables, surpassing the €40m they paid Porto for Radamel Falcao in the summer of 2011.

Costa, who previously played for Atletico from 2010 to ’14, is expected to be on hand and could be unveiled when Chelsea travel to Atletico Madrid for their Champions League group stage match.

Costa joined Chelsea from Atletico for £32m in the summer of 2014 and won two Premier League titles at Stamford Bridge, finishing as the club’s top scorer in each of his three full seasons. But he never hid his dissatisfaction with life in England and pushed for a move back to Atletico on several occasions.

He was dropped by Conte in January following a training-ground argument and a lucrative bid from Chinese Super League club Tianjin Quanjian, and Chelsea proactively pursued an elite striker this summer — eventually signing Morata — while Costa opted to remain in Brazil this summer rather than return to London.

“We thank Diego for his efforts and wish him well in his future career,” Chelsea said in a statement.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Pres. Tinubu flags off Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road, inaugurates other projects in Lagos

President Bola Tinubu has flagged off the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road on Victoria...

NNPC Ltd. GCEO Kyari wins Champion Newspapers’ Most Outstanding Energy Icon Award

The Group Chief Executive Officer of NNPC Ltd., Mr. Mele Kyari, has...

Tragedy: Two kidnapped Kogi varsity students killed as parents negotiate ransom payment 

The students were killed amid negotiations for ransom payments by their parents....

Breaking: FG sues 36 states at Supreme Court over local government autonomy

In a bid to ensure the autonomy of the nation’s local governments,...

Just in: Protest breaks out over disbanded Kano Emirate

Protesters are currently on the streets of Gaya, one of the five...

Paris-bound businessman nabbed at Abuja airport, ingests 111 wraps of cocaine

Emmanuel Okechuku Orjinze, a 48-year-old businessman travelling to Paris, has reportedly consumed...

Ex-EFCC chairman Ibrahim Lamorde dies at 61

A one-time Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr....

365 days in office: Tinubu to inaugurate projects in Lagos, Abuja, across the country

Ahead of the first anniversary of his administration on May 29, President...

Odili to Fubara: Don’t be afraid, nobody can shake you, we are solidly behind you

Dr. Peter Odili, a former governor of Rivers State, has restated his...

Intervene in Kano Emirate stalemate, Islamic scholars beg Pres. Tinubu

Worried by the tension following the dethronement of the Emir of Kano,...

Nigerian economy: Worst days are over, Pres. Tinubu assures

President Bola Tinubu has assured Nigerians that the worst days are over...

Just in: We will accept whatever the law says, deposed Emir of Bayero breaks silence

The deposed 15th Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, has stated...

Breaking: Hunter now the hunted! Gunmen abduct Army officer in Makurdi, demand N5m ransom

The kidnapping of Charles Ogbonna, a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer (SNCO), has been...

Lamido’s reinstatement: We will obey court’s order for status quo ante – Kano Police Command

The Kano State Police Command has stated that it will comply with...

National Sports Festival Holds January 2025, Announces Sports Minister

The Federal Government has approved January 2025 as the official date for...

Just in: Soldiers deployed to protect deposed Aminu Bayero

Following an order for the arrest of deposed Emir Aminu Ado Bayero...

Just in: Nigeria records 2.98% GDP growth in Q1 ’2024

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Nigeria fell to 2.98 percent, a...

Northern elders react to Sanusi’s reinstatement, caution Kano Gov. Yusuf

As the return of Kano Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II continues to raise...

NELFUND student loan portal opens

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has opened the application portal for...

NNPC Ltd. , Schlumberger (SLB) Sign Agreement to Boost Upstream Operations

As part of strategic reforms aimed at unlocking opportunities in the nation’s...