HighlightTop Story

Deadly Suicide Bomb Blast Hits IDP Camp Leaving Scores Dead

899

[dropcap]N[/dropcap]o fewer than five people were killed in suicide bomb attacks at a camp for those displaced by the Boko Haram conflict in Borno state, the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA said.

“Two suicide bombers (a male and a female) detonated their improvised explosive devices at Dalori 1 IDP (internally displaced persons) camp, leading to the death of three IDPs, while 17 others were injured,”  Abdulkadir Ibrahim, said in a statement.

“Another incident occurred at Dalori 2 IDP camp, where a suicide bomber was intercepted, leading to the death of the suicide bomber.”

Ahmed Sartori, the head of the Borno state emergency management agency, said the death toll had risen by late morning.

“The death toll is now four, with the death of one more victim,” he told AFP, adding that another suicide bomber had died trying to get into the city’s university.

“A suicide bomber exploded while he was trying to scale the barbed wire fence at the university,” he said.

A trench is currently being dug around the campus, which lies on the edge of Maiduguri, to deter intruders after a spate of suicide bomb attacks on the premises.

Dalori, which is about 15 kilometres (nine miles) from Maiduguri, houses some 50,000 people in makeshift accommodation and has been targeted by bombers before.

On the evening of June 18, two women blew themselves up at Dalori 2, where 10,000 people are living, The attack injured several IDPs but killed only the bombers.

It followed a separate attack at nearby Kofa village, where two women used as human bombs exploded, killing at least 16.

See also  NUPRC Unveils Measures to Boost Oil Industry Transparency, Curb Theft

On January 30 last year, at least 85 people were killed when militant fighters stormed and torched Dalori village and tried to gain access to the IDP camps.

 

 

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

No Feed, No Posts: X Users Frustrated by Second Global Outage in Two Months

A widespread technical failure struck Elon Musk’s social media site, X, on...

Arrest Abure Now, Labour Party, NLC Demand Action Over Alleged Secretariat Looting

Following a late-night break-in and the looting of sensitive documents at its...

Terror Financing: U.S. Imposes Sanctions on Eight Nigerians Over Links to Extremist Sect

The United States says it has frozen the assets of eight Nigerians...

Breaking: After Airport Standoff, El-Rufai Finally Turns Himself Over to EFCC for Tenure Probe

Nasir El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State and a chieftain of...