Sadiya Farouq
Highlight

COVID-19 Palliatives: Beneficiaries now 2.6m people, says Minister

557

 

 

 

More than 2.6 million people have benefitted from cash transfer under the Federal Government’s Social Investment Programme (SIP), the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Farouq, has disclosed.

 

“The Social Investment Programme (SIP) has been on since 2016 and the social national register that we have as at March 31, 2020 is made up of 11,450,537 poor and vulnerable people in 35 states and 453 Local Government Areas across the country.

 

“Now, currently the beneficiaries that we give this cash transfer to are 2.6 million people,’’ she said at the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).

 

According to her, in FCT, there are 5,982 households, in Nasarawa 8,271 households, Katsina 6,732 households and Anambra 1,367 households.

 

Farouq said: “By general standard, a household’s composition is 6 persons.

 

“We are thinking of expanding the register, we are in touch with the UN social protection donor group to see how the register can be rapidly expanded to cover additional one million households.

 

“But we have 11.4 million households in the register that are ready for this intervention.

 

“The way the people are captured is by community engagement. We go in and reach the community, opinion leaders, religious leaders who are the ones that decide which families fall within that category of poor and vulnerable households.’’

 

On accountability and transparency, the minister assured that necessary measures had been put in place to ensure transparency and accountability in the disbursement of the money and dismissed the “malicious rumours’’ making the around.

 

Farouq promised that no section of the country would be marginalized in the implementation of the Social Investment Programme irrespective of religious or political affiliation.

 

On the rowdiness that characterized today’s distribution of palliatives for the vulnerable in the Federal Capital Territory, she said the rowdiness was inevitable.

 

“Some of these things are inevitable; we tried as much as possible to see that we take into consideration the social distancing policy.

 

“If you were there you would have seen that the people that were brought in to disburse were spaced, but people outside that might not have even been the beneficiaries were the one causing the crowing, but henceforth we will put in measures to avert that.’’

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NNPCL announces new eight-member management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has unveiled a new eight-member...

Abuja AWVCC: Al-Ahly of Egypt Dominates Soccocim of Senegal in Straight Sets

Record holders Al-Ahly of Egypt secured a convincing straight-set win (25-10, 25-14,...

Updated: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s lawyer pushes for consolidated hearing amid interview ban, case adjourned until May 12

Mr. Jibril Okutepa (SAN), counsel to the suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has...

Tinubu’s Adviser on Political Affairs, Dr. Baba-Ahmed, Quits

Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office...

Updated: Appeal Court lacks jurisdiction to enter any pronouncement in favour of Abure – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has ruled that the Appeal Court overstepped its bounds...

Just in: Akpabio denies Akpoti-Uduaghan’s assassination claim, calls allegation false, malicious

Few days after suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan accused him of working with...

Just in: Court bars parties in Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suit against Akpabio, others from press interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a gag order, prohibiting...

Court halts Pro-Wike rally in Bayelsa, adjourns until April 11 for hearing

A scheduled April 12 rally in support of Minister of the Federal...

Rivers Assembly bombing: Court restrains Police, SSS from arresting Fubara’s Chief of Staff, Ehie

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has issued an...

Oil price takes a hit, slides 6.8% to $69.90 per barrel due to Trump’s tariff

The price of Nigeria’s Bonny Light on Thursday dropped to $69.90 per...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...