By Omoyeni Ojeifo
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has stepped up health safety measures at the nation’s international airports following renewed Ebola outbreak in parts of Central Africa.
FAAN said the move is aimed at preventing any possible importation of the disease into Nigeria as authorities continue to monitor developments linked to the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.
In a statement by the agency’s Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Henry Agbebire on Wednesday, the authority said surveillance had been intensified in partnership with the Port Health Services, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control NCDC and other relevant authorities.
The agency explained that arriving passengers, particularly those from affected regions, are being subjected to additional health checks, while emergency response structures have also been strengthened across airports.
“Passengers are being screened for symptoms associated with Ebola, and any suspected case will be promptly isolated and subjected to secondary health checks in line with established national and international health protocols,” It stated.
FAAN added that it has strengthened coordination with relevant stakeholders, enhanced staff sensitisation, and reinforced emergency response procedures to ensure swift action where necessary.
“While there is currently no confirmed case of Ebola in Nigeria, FAAN remains vigilant and fully committed to safeguarding public health and maintaining safe airport operations,” it noted.
FAAN called on travellers to cooperate with airport health officials, observe screening procedures, and immediately report any symptoms linked to the virus.
The precautionary measures come after the World Health Organization classified the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on May 17, 2026.
Health authorities say the outbreak, which began in the DRC’s Ituri Province and later spread into Uganda, has resulted in reported infections and fatalities, prompting heightened vigilance across neighbouring countries.
Persecondnews earlier reported that Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo had climbed to 513, with the death toll rising to 131 amid efforts by health authorities to contain the spread of the virus.


Leave a comment