Rescue operations are underway for the students, teachers, and administrators abducted from a school in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, according to Prof. Wole Alamu, husband of the kidnapped principal, Mrs. Folawe Alamu.
Speaking during a telephone interview on radio on Wednesday, Prof. Alamu confirmed that security agencies are making progress but strongly cautioned against the public disclosure of sensitive operational details.
“We are going to grant interview, but not now. The work is seriously being done underneath. Anything you say now may jeopardise the rescue operations,” he said.
Alamu praised Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde and law enforcement agencies for their coordinated response to the mass abductions, which shattered the peace of the Esiele community.
Persecondnews recalls that armed gunmen simultaneously raided Community Grammar School Esiele, Baptist Nursery and Primary School Yawota, and L.A. Primary School, taking numerous students and teachers captive.
The assault proved fatal for teacher Michael Oyedokun, while the Oyo State Police Command confirmed that assistant headmaster Mr. Adesiyan and a commercial motorcyclist were also killed during the attack.
The urgency of the crisis was underscored by a video circulating online on Friday, in which Mrs. Folawe desperately pleaded with federal and state authorities, security forces, the Christian Association of Nigeria, and the public for their rescue.
Search-and-rescue operations have since been heavily reinforced throughout the region’s forest corridors.
Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Rilwan Disu has taken personal charge of a high-tech rescue mission utilizing the police Intelligence Response Team.
To bolster these efforts, Governor Makinde revealed that two newly acquired surveillance aircraft are being deployed to track the kidnappers via aerial intelligence.
Security agencies said several suspects had been arrested for allegedly acting as informants to the abductors within the Old Oyo National Park.
The state government said it remains open to dialogue to secure the release of the victims but will not pay ransom.
President Bola Tinubu had condemned the killing of the teacher as barbaric.
Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, said security agencies were working round the clock to rescue the remaining victims and apprehend those responsible.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” the statement said.
President Tinubu also reiterated his call for the establishment of state police, urging the National Assembly to fast-track legislation aimed at bolstering security in underserved communities.


Leave a comment