Highlight

Breaking: Ozekhome Cleared: Judge Strikes Out Forgery Suit as FG Withdraws

626
Advertisement




In a significant legal turn, the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) has withdrawn forgery charges against Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mike Ozekhome.

During Tuesday’s proceedings at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Maitama, the Director of Public Prosecution, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), informed Justice Peter Kekemeke that the AGF had opted to conduct a “holistic review” of the case to determine the most appropriate path forward.

Following the prosecution’s application—which went unopposed by lead defense counsel Paul Erokoro (SAN)—the court officially struck out the three-count charge.

The case, originally initiated by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), centered on allegations of fraud, forgery, and the use of false documents regarding a disputed property in London.

Prosecutors alleged that the senior lawyer knowingly received a property located at 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2 7SX, which he claimed was gifted to him, and then allegedly used a forged Nigerian passport in support of that claim.

They argued that both acts contravened provisions of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act and the FCT Penal Code.

On January 29, 2026, Oyedepo had notified the court of the Attorney General’s decision to take over the prosecution from the anti-graft agency.

He explained that the takeover was pursuant to Section 174 of the Constitution, which empowers the Attorney General of the Federation to institute, take over or discontinue criminal proceedings.

According to Oyedepo, the decision was taken in collaboration with the ICPC and was aimed at ensuring that the prosecution meets the highest standards of effectiveness, efficiency, diligence and compliance with due process.

See also  Fireworks as ex-SGF, Lawal, faults Tinubu’s claim of competence in choice of Shettima, says Osinbajo is more competent than him

He said the Attorney General was guided by public interest considerations and the need to instill confidence, fairness and competence in the criminal justice system.

The DPPF further stated that inter-agency cooperation in the fight against corruption was also a factor in the decision to assume control of the matter.

He assured the court that the rights of the defendant would be protected and that no party would suffer injustice as the office reviews the case.

After the Attorney General’s office formally took over the trial, Oyedepo asked for an adjournment to review the evidence previously held by the ICPC.

Justice Kekemeke granted the motion and struck out the case, bringing the current trial to a close.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Afrophobia: Private Donors Fund Return of 83 Nigerians From South Africa 

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Eighty-three Nigerians are expected to return home from South...

Breaking: Disastrous WAFCON/World Cup Runs:NFF Fires Super Falcons Coaching Crew

Following an unprecedented dismal performance in the just-concluded WAFCON in Morroco, the...

Osun Poll: Situation Room Nigeria Flags BVAS Glitches, Vote Buying, Logistics Gaps Ahead of 2027

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Despite a peaceful turnout for Saturday’s Osun governorship election,...

How NDLEA Denied Traffickers N301Bln in Illicit Drug Investments

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nearly 330 tonnes of illicit drugs that could have...