Top Story

Updated: Tinubu Bows to Pressure, Withdraws Presidential Pardon for 141 Convicts

...Maryam Sanda, drug pushers, kidnappers affected

849


President Bola Tinubu has trimmed down the list of convicts recently granted presidential pardon.

A statement on Wednesday, October 29, by the presidential media adviser, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, revealed that the number of the beneficiaries have been reduced from 175 to 34.

Among those that have been dropped from the list following the barrage of criticisms that trailed the approval of their pardon by the Council of State, included Maryam Sanda, who was convicted for killing her husband in cold blood.

“Certain persons convicted of serious crimes such as kidnapping, drug-related offences, human trafficking, fraud, unlawful possession of firearms/arms dealing, etc, were deleted from the list.

“Others who had been hitherto pardoned in the old list had their sentences commuted,” he stated.

While 15 persons, including Saro Wiwa and other Ogoni agitators who were convicted and executed by the military junta, were pardoned, four others had their death sentences commuted to life imprisonment, while 15 convicts secured clemency in the final list that contained 34 beneficiaries.

He said: “This action became necessary in view of the seriousness and security implications of some of the offences, the need to be sensitive to the feelings of the victims of the crimes and society in general, the need to boost the morale of law enforcement agencies and adherence to bilateral obligations.

“The concept of justice as a three-way traffic for the Accused, the Victim, and the State/Society also guided the review.

“The approved list of eligible beneficiaries has been transmitted to the Nigerian Correctional Service for implementation in line with the duly signed instruments of release.

See also  Tinubu writes Senate for $7.8bn, €100m borrowing plan

“Furthermore, to ensure that future exercises meet public expectations and best practices, the President has directed the immediate relocation of the Secretariat of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Prerogative of Mercy from the Federal Ministry of Special Duties to the Federal Ministry of Justice.

“President Tinubu also directed the Attorney-General of the Federation to issue appropriate Guidelines for the Exercise of the Power of Prerogative of Mercy, which includes compulsory consultation with relevant prosecuting agencies.

“This will ensure that only persons who fully meet the stipulated legal and procedural requirements will henceforth benefit from the issuance of instruments of release.”

He also said: “The President appreciated the constructive feedback and engagement from stakeholders and the general public on this matter.

“President Tinubu also reaffirmed his administration’s broader commitment to judicial reforms and improving the administration of justice in Nigeria.”

Full list of the beneficiaries.

1. Oroka Michael Chibueze clemency
2. Adesanya Olufemi Paul
3. Daniel Bodunwa
4. Hamza Abubakar
5. Buhari Sani
6. Mohammed Musa
7. Muharazu Abubakar
8. Tbrahim Yusuf
9. Saad Ahmed Madaki
10. Ex-Corporal Michael Bawa
11. Richard Ayuba
12. Adam Abubakar
13. Emmanuel Yusuf
14. Chinedu Stanley
15. Johnny Ntheru Udor

16 Emmanuel Baba
17 Abubakar Usman
18 Khalifa Umar
19 Mohammed Umar

20. Mrs Anastasia Daniel Nwaobia
21. Barr. Hussaini Alhaji Umar
22. Ayinla Saadu Alanamu
23. Hon. Farouk M. Lawan
24. Herbert Macaulay
25. Major General Mamman Jiya Vatsa 26. Ken Saro Wiwa
27. Saturday Dobee
28. Nordu Eawo
29. Daniel Gbooko
30. Paul Levera
31. Felix Nuale
32. Baribor Bera
33. Barinem Kiobel
34. John Kpuine

See also  PDP Demands Stoppage of Election Results By INEC 

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

FG Introduces Unified Taxpayer Identification System

By Maryanne Awuya The Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) and the Joint Revenue...

PMAWCA Day 1: Nigeria Pushes for Regional Maritime Hub Status

By Samuel Akpan Nigeria has renewed its drive to become the premier...

Outrage as Kidnapped Oyo Teacher is Brutally Beheaded

Michael Oyedokun, one of the teachers kidnapped from Community High School in...

El-Rufai Grounded: Passport Seized as Court Grants ₦100m Bail Over Phone-Tapping Charges

Incarcerated immediate past governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, who is facing...