Highlight

I resigned to protect my integrity, prevent distractions to FG – Ex-Minister Nnaji

"Nnaji maintained that his decision to quit was not an admission of guilt, but a move to uphold due process and respect ongoing judicial proceedings"

867
Advertisement




Geoffrey Nnaji, the recently resigned Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, stated he stepped down to protect his integrity and prevent “distractions” from President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

His resignation on Tuesday, October 7, which the Presidency confirmed, followed a week of controversy concerning his academic records and allegations of certificate forgery, as reported by Persecondnews.

In his statement, Nnaji said his decision came after “deep reflection” amid an “orchestrated sustained campaign of falsehood, politically motivated, and malicious attacks” against him and his office.

“These unfounded allegations and media distortions have not only caused personal distress but have also begun to distract from the vital work of the ministry and the Renewed Hope Agenda of Mr President,” he said.

Nnaji maintained that his decision to quit was not an admission of guilt, but a move to uphold due process and respect ongoing judicial proceedings.

“My decision to step aside is therefore a personal choice — not an admission of guilt, but rather a principled decision to respect the sanctity of due process and to preserve the integrity of the judicial proceedings currently before the court.

“In the end, justice will prevail, and history will vindicate the just,” he stated.

The former minister said he could not in good conscience allow “distractions to cast a shadow over the noble objectives” of the Tinubu administration, adding that his reputation had been built over “five decades anchored on hard work, honour, and service to humanity.”

He thanked President Tinubu for the confidence reposed in him and for the privilege to serve, pledging continued loyalty to the administration’s vision for a “renewed, innovative, and technologically driven Nigeria.”

See also  Boko Haram Militants Drown My 3-Year-Old Son, Rape and Impregnated Me, Borno Woman Tells Pope in Italy

Persecondnews recalls that Nnaji was appointed in August 2023 and served until his resignation amid ongoing investigations into alleged procurement irregularities in his ministry.

Nnaji and the Enugu State Government had traded words over allegations that he presented forged certificates.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Alleged Abuja Police Brutality: Journalist Beaten with Electric Cable, Phone Destroyed

By Joycelyn Ellakeche Adah Police operatives in Lugbe, Abuja, have been accused...

Concerns mount over Ogogo’s health as colleagues hold special prayer session

By Segun Adebayo Colleagues of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Babatunde Hassan, widely...

2027 Election: Atiku Vows to Bring Back Fuel Subsidies

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate for 2027,...

Nigeria, UAE Move To Tackle Four-Year-Old Visa Challenges Head-On

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are advancing...