Highlight

Trump grants TikTok 75-day reprieve, eyes 50-50 partnership with ByteDance

351

In a surprise move, US President Donald Trump has ordered a 75-day pause on enforcing a law that would effectively ban TikTok in the US.

Persecondnews reports that the executive order delays the implementation of the Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act, which took effect on January 19.

Trump had promised to move quickly to save TikTok from the law, which was passed overwhelmingly by Congress and signed by President Joe Biden in 2024.

Speaking to reporters from the White House, Trump said he was seeking a 50-50 partnership between “the United States” and TikTok’s Chinese owner, ByteDance.

“I guess I have a warm spot for TikTok that I didn’t have originally,” Trump said, crediting the app for delivering him the youth vote in his election.

Trump’s plan to set up a joint venture between US companies and ByteDance could potentially value the company at a trillion dollars, thanks to his intervention.

The 75-day pause is intended to give the new administration time to “pursue a resolution that protects national security while saving a platform used by 170 million Americans,” according to the order.

The delay also provides clarification for companies like Apple and Google, which would otherwise be required to remove TikTok from their app stores and block updates, facing penalties of up to $5,000 per user if the app is accessed.

TikTok had shut down in the US late Saturday as the deadline approached, leaving millions of users dismayed.

However, the app restored service on Sunday, crediting Trump for making the reversal possible.

As Trump noted, “Essentially, with TikTok, I have the right to either sell it or close it.”

The president’s move has sparked hopes that a resolution can be reached to protect national security while saving the popular social media platform.

Persecondnews recalls that TikTok had said it will be forced to “go dark” in the US on Sunday, January 19 unless the government intervenes before a ban takes effect.

In a statement late on Friday, it said the White House and the Department of Justice had “failed to provide the necessary clarity and assurance to the service providers that are integral to maintaining TikTok’s availability”.

It said that unless the government immediately stepped in to assure the video app it would not be punished for violating the looming ban, it would be “forced to go dark on January 19”.

The statement follows a Supreme Court ruling earlier on Friday which upheld a law banning the app in the US unless its China-based parent company, ByteDance, sells the platform by Sunday.

Passed in April 2024, the law says ByteDance must sell the US version of the platform to a neutral party to avert an outright ban.

TikTok challenged the law, arguing it violates free speech protections for its 170 million users in the country.

But the Supreme Court’s ruling means the US version of the app will be removed from app stores and web hosting services unless a buyer is found in the coming days.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...

‘Small Girl, Big God’ – Korra Obidi celebrates US citizenship amid mixed reactions

Popular dancer and social media sensation Korra Obidi has officially become a...

Dayo Amusa reflects on motherhood and life’s trials in emotional post

Nollywood actress and singer Dayo Amusa is starting the new month with...

Annie Idibia embraces new chapter, partying seriously with Regina Daniels, others

Just weeks after leaving a rehabilitation facility, actress and estranged wife of...

NNPC Ltd Welcomes New GCEO, Board as Kyari Bows Out

The management and the staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited...

After 8-year incarceration, South African court acquits Nigerian televangelist Omotoso of rape charges

After eight years of incarceration, a South African court has found a...

Just in: Algiers-Abuja direct flights commence April 6 – Foreign Affairs Ministry

In a bid to foster stronger diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria...

Assassination allegation: Kogi govt. dismisses Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s claim as malicious, false

As reactions continue to trail the assassination allegation made by Sen. Natasha...

2025 National Police Day: FCT Police Kick Off Activities With Community Outreach, Clean-Up Exercise

In its effort to foster community policing and robust police-community relations, the...

NSC DG Olopade Congratulates Kida, New NNPCL Board Chair, Hopes for Better Synergy

The Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Bukola Olopade, has...

Saka Makes Triumphant Return Winning Goal as Arsenal Defeat Fulham 2-1

By Samuel Akpan with agency report Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka made a triumphant...