Highlight

Ibadan explosion: Spaces for Change calls for swift succour to victims, high-powered investigation

1.6k
Advertisement




Spaces for Change (S4C) has condemned in totality the January 16, 2024, explosion in Ibadan, Oyo State capital, triggered by the activities of illegal miners, demanding a thorough investigation into the tragic incident.

This explosion has, so far, resulted in the tragic loss of two lives, leaving 77 people injured and resulting in damages to properties worth millions of Naira as well as rendering scores of people homeless.

A statement by Victoria Ibezim-Ohaneri, the Executive Director of Spaces for Change, emailed to Persecondnews said the activities of illegal mining operations continue to be a severe clog to the growth and development of the national economy, with the accompanying tragic loss of lives and properties that it leaves in its wake.

“Their activities in the North West, North Central, and South West geopolitical zones, respectively, have substantially contributed to the insecurity in the area, which has led to the continuous loss of lives, properties, and displacements in the region.

“While these events may not be closely related, the evils of illegal mining activities leave in their trail nothing short of destruction.

“It is an activity that, over the years, has been one of our core areas of engagement as an organization, with a clear mission to ensure that stakeholders understand the destructive nature of its illegal usage and how citizens remain the highest recipients of its damages.

“As our extant law on mining operations provides, illegal mining is prohibited under Section 2 of the Nigeria Mineral and Mining Act. Its prohibition by law shows how destructive its continuance would be, as unchecked activities of this magnitude leave nothing short of destruction to lives and properties.

See also  $1.8bn not missing, faulty concession responsible for non-remittance - Bello-Koko

“As our thoughts and prayers remain with the victims of this tragic incident, we call on the government to continue to offer much-needed succour to the victims of this incident,’’ S4C executive director said,

Ibezim-Ohaneri thanked the government of Oyo State for assuming the responsibility of paying the medical bills of the injured victims and urged the government at the federal level and all relevant agencies to ensure that the perpetrators of these vile actions are brought to book.

“We also implore the federal government to wake up to its regulatory responsibility for the activities of the mining operations in the country to ensure compliance with the statutory provisions of our extant laws.’’

 

 

 

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

2027 Election: Atiku Vows to Bring Back Fuel Subsidies

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate for 2027,...

Nigeria, UAE Move To Tackle Four-Year-Old Visa Challenges Head-On

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are advancing...

Civil Society Welcomes Enitan as New Head of Civil Service, Hails Tinubu

By Maryanne Awuya President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s choice of Dr. Abel Olumuyiwa...

83 More Nigerians Repatriated from South Africa Facilitated By Private Sponsorship

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Privately funded repatriation brought 83 Nigerians home to Lagos...