Doctors were in “shock” after removing earphones, a bracelet, nuts and bolts and safety pins among 150 foreign objects from a patient’s stomach.
The 40-year-old Indian man was admitted to Medicity Hospital in Moga district on Monday complaining of severe stomach pain and nausea.
Doctors conducted X-ray scans which revealed metal objects lodged inside his stomach.
They immediately operated and during a three-hour surgery retrieved earphones, a bracelet, nuts and bolts, wires, lockets, buttons, wrappers and safety pins from his stomach.
The man died of sepsis after the surgery on Thursday.
“There was a ball of foreign objects that we call radiopaque materials. After surgery, we found 150 articles including bracelet, zipper, nails, nuts and bolts. He was in pain for nearly a week,” said Dr Ajmer Kalra, director of the hospital.
“He was put on ventilator but we couldn’t save him. He had abdominal distension that led to perforation and eventually he developed sepsis and died.”
The case has stunned the medical fraternity. Dr Kalra said the hospital has been approached by researchers wanting to included the case study in journals.