HighlightTop StoryTrending Story

Niger crisis; Discordant tunes in ECOWAS as leaders override Tinubu’s diplomatic resolution, now settle for military action

157

In what looks like a discordant tune among the leadership of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the regional body on Thursday again backtracked and ordered the activation of the ECOWAS standby force immediately and its deployment to restore constitutional order in the Republic of Niger.

Rising from its 2nd extraordinary summit in Abuja, the Heads of Government of member-states said the decision followed the consideration of the memorandum presented by the President of the ECOWAS commission on the current situation in the Republic of Niger as well as ECOWAS engagement since the last extraordinary summit.

They said they also considered the reports of the envoys of the ECOWAS Chairman, President Bola Tinubu to Niger and various other places.

Persecondnews reported earlier that ECOWAS Chairman and Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu had on Thursday said diplomatic negotiations and dialogue would be used and military option in resolving the political crisis in Niger.

Tinubu said this in his welcome speech at the 2nd Extraordinary Summit of Heads of Government of the West African organization on the socio-political situation in the Republic of Niger.

Tinubu had said:”Moreso, in reaffirming our relentless commitment to democracy, human rights, and the well-being of the people of Niger, it is crucial that we “prioritize diplomatic negotiations and dialogue” as the bedrock of our approach.”

But a communique issued at the end of their summit and given to Persecondnews stated that the body: “Direct the Committee of the chief of defense staff to activate the ECOWAS standby force with all its elements immediately.

“Order the deployment of the ECOWAS standby force to restore constitutional order in the Republic of Niger.

“Noted that all diplomatic efforts made by ECOWAS, in resolving the crisis have been defiantly repelled by the military leadership of the Republic of Niger; taking note of the expiration of the one week ultimatum given for the restoration of constitutional order in the Republic of Niger decide as follows:

“Reiterates its strong condemnation of the attempted coup d’etat and the continued illegal detention of President Mohammed Bazoam, his family and members of his government

“Further condemns the condition in which President Bazoum is being detained and hold the CNSP fully and solely responsible for the safety, security and physical integrity of President Bazoum, members of his family and government.

“Uphold all measures and principles agreed upon by the extra ordinary Summit held on Niger on 30th July 2023.

“Underscore the determination of the ECOWAS authority to keep all options on the table for the peaceful resolution of the crisis.

“Enforce all measures in particular border closures and strict travel bans and assets freeze on all persons or groups of individuals whose actions hinder all peaceful efforts aimed at ensuring the smooth and complete restoration of constitutional order.

“Warn member states who by their action directly or indirectly, hindered the peaceful resolution of the crisis in Niger about the consequences for their action before the community.

“Call on the African Union to endorse all the decisions taken by the ECOWAS authority on the situation in Niger.

“Further call on all partner countries and institutions including the United Nations to support ECOWAS, in its effort to ensure a quick restoration of constitutional order, in conformity with its normative instruments.

“Direct the President of the Commission to monitor the implementation of the sanctions.

“Carefully considered the report and recommendations of the ECOWAS committee of chiefs of defense staff; extensively discussed the latest development in Niger since the last extra ordinary Summit held on 30th July 2023.”

ECOWAS, however, restated its continued commitment to the restoration of constitutional order through peaceful means in the region.

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

We committed $600m to health in Nigeria in 2023, says U.S. Govt.

The United States Government has disclosed that it has committed $20 billion...

Nigeria lacks sufficient reserves to tackle FX demands, backlog in the market, says expert

An economist, Mr. Esili Eigbe, has said Nigeria lacked sufficient reserves to...

NNPCL advocates “War Room” to tackle challenges faced by independent producers

NNPCL advocates “War Room” to tackle challenges faced by independent producers “It’s...

NLC protests: Tinubu spanks labour, urges a breather for his 9-month-old govt

The organized labour under the aegis of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)...

Corruption will go away from Nigeria, says Pres. Tinubu as he inaugurates Lagos rail project

President Bola Tinubu inaugurated the Red Line rail project of the Lagos...

Pogba handed four-year ban for doping

Juventus’ star midfielder, Paul Pogba, has been handed a hefty four-year ban...

Cristiano Ronaldo suspended over alleged offensive gesture in Saudi League game

Saudi Arabia’s football governing body has suspended Cristiano Ronaldo for one game...

Alleged N178bln debt: Reps dismiss petition against NPA, laud Bello-Koko, NPA 

A petition alleging that Mr. Bello Koko, the Managing Director of the...

FG set to sign executive order to control rising drug prices

In a bid to control escalating drug prices across the country, the...

Akeredolu: Pres. Tinubu in Owo, Ondo State, extols him a fearless fighter

Barely a week after the late Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu,...

Abuja power supply drops by 250 MW as vandals destroy Gwagwalada-Katampe transmission line

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has disclosed that Tower 70 along...

NNPC Ltd, OPEC pledge collaboration to attract investments, grow production

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) and the Organization of the...

Just in: Senate grants Tinubu’s request to sack FCCP boss

The Senate has approved President Bola Tinubu’s request to sack the Federal...

Oronsaye report: FG allays fear of job losses in rationalized agencies, parastatals

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has dismissed the...

Family releases funeral rites for Access Holdings CEO, Wigwe, wife, son

The family of the late Herbert Wigwe, the former Group Chief Executive...

Fear grips fans as Nasty Blaq reveals battle with undisclosed ailment

Fans of popular skitmaker Nasty Blaq are apprehensive over news that their...

Why we suspended our nationwide protest – NLC

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its two-day national protest as...

#50thAnniversary: PUNCH photo exhibition opens February 28, Soyinka delivers anniversary lecture February 29

A three-day photo exhibition, as part of events marking the 50th anniversary...

Kunle Afolayan insists criticisms over dancing with daughter can’t break him

Famous filmmaker Kunle Afolayan has stirred controversy following a video showing him...