in ,

Ikoyi skyscraper collapse update : Death toll rises to 36, NEMA confirms

Hopeful relatives at Skyscraper
By Ajuma Edwina Ameh
As ongoing operations to rescue those still trapped in the rubble of the collapsed 21-storey Ikoyi skyscraper building in Lagos continues, the death toll has increased to 36, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has disclosed.
 
Persecondnews had reported that the  skyscraper still under construction located on Gerard Road by Musliu junction in the highbrow area of Ikoyib, collapsed about 2.10pm on Monday, trapping workers and the owner.
The Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), South-West Region, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, who gave the update on Thursday, said out of the 36 deaths recorded so far, three are females.
 
Hedisclosedthat the survivors include one female and eight male.
“Out of the the survivors, we have one female and eight male. Out of the dead, we have three female and 33 male dead bodies.
“Rescue work is still ongoing and more hands have joined the rescue team,” he told newsmen.
Meanwhile, families and friends of people trapped in the rubble are now  keeping vigil at the scene, hoping that their loved ones would be rescued alive.
Persecondnews gathered that the cause of the Ikoyi skyscraper collapse  is yet to be identified, but Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, during a visit to the scene on Wednesday, said there were obvious “violations and mistakes from all angles” in the tragedy.
The governor had set up a panel of inquiry to probe the Ikoyi skyscraper collapse incident, promising that those found culpable after investigations will be not be spared.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Written by Per Second News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Day In Pictures: Collapsed Skyscraper Building in Ikoyi

Plane tickets set to increase due to rising oil prices – IATA