Edward Kallon
HighlightTop StoryTrending Story

110 farmers, others killed in Borno not 43, says United Nations

497

 

The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria said Sunday that the Boko Haram jihadist group massacred at least 110 people including loggers, farmers and fishermen in a Borno State village last weekend and not 43.

Mr Edward Kallon said in a statement after initial tolls indicated 43 and then at least 70 dead from Saturday’s massacre by suspected Boko Haram fighters.

“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year.

“I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice,” he said.

The bloodletting took place in the village of Koshobe near the main city of Maiduguri, with assailants targeting farmers on rice fields.

Borno Governor Babaganan Umara Zulum attended the burial Sunday in the nearby village of Zabarmari of 43 bodies recovered on Saturday, saying the toll could rise after search operations resumed.

The assailants tied up the agricultural workers and slit their throats, according to a pro-government anti-jihadist militia.

The victims were among labourers from Sokoto state in northwestern Nigeria, roughly 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) away, who had travelled to the northeast to find work, it said.

Six were wounded in the attack and eight remained missing as of Saturday.

Kallon, citing “reports that several women may have been kidnapped”, called for their immediate release and return to safety.

President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack, saying: “The entire country has been wounded by these senseless killings.”

The attack took place as voters went to the polls in long-delayed local elections in Borno State.

The polls had been repeatedly postponed because of an increase in attacks by Boko Haram and a rival dissident faction (ISWAP).

The two groups have been blamed for increasing attacks on loggers, farmers and fishermen whom they accuse of spying for the army and pro-government militias.

 

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

First Lady Unveils 39th AWVCC in Abuja, as Nigeria Customs Secures Opening Victory

The 39th Women’s African Volleyball Club Championship kicked off in style on...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Breaking: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s recall: INEC rejects petition, cites failure to meet constitutional requirements

The petition to recall Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central Senatorial District,...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

CBN Debunks Introduction of N5,000, N10,000 Notes

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disowned a circular claiming the...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...

‘Small Girl, Big God’ – Korra Obidi celebrates US citizenship amid mixed reactions

Popular dancer and social media sensation Korra Obidi has officially become a...

Dayo Amusa reflects on motherhood and life’s trials in emotional post

Nollywood actress and singer Dayo Amusa is starting the new month with...

Annie Idibia embraces new chapter, partying seriously with Regina Daniels, others

Just weeks after leaving a rehabilitation facility, actress and estranged wife of...

NNPC Ltd Welcomes New GCEO, Board as Kyari Bows Out

The management and the staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited...

After 8-year incarceration, South African court acquits Nigerian televangelist Omotoso of rape charges

After eight years of incarceration, a South African court has found a...

Just in: Algiers-Abuja direct flights commence April 6 – Foreign Affairs Ministry

In a bid to foster stronger diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria...

Pres. Tinubu off to France again on 2-week working visit

President Bola Tinubu will depart Abuja for Paris, France, on Wednesday, on...