PRESIDENT BUHARI ATTENDS THE OPENING OF 31ST AU SUMMIT 2. President Muhammadu Buhari confers wit Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama during the official opening 0f the 31st Session of African Union (AU) taking place in Nouakchott, Mauritania. PHOTO; SUNDAY AGHAEZE. JULY 1ST 2018
Highlight

COVID-19: Lack of hotels to quarantine stranded Nigerians abroad on arrival delaying evacuation — FG

590

 

… first set of evacuees from Dubai arrive Monday

There appears to be more trouble for stranded Nigerians set to be evacuated by the Federal Government as many hotels in Lagos and Abuja do not their facilities to be used as quarantine centres for the returnees.

 The government said in order to prevent Nigerians abroad returning to the country from coming in with more coronavirus, it is making efforts to find quarantine centres approved by relevant authorities.
The Foreign AffairsbMinister, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, said this at the briefing of the presidential task force (PTF) on COVID-19 in Abuja on Tuesday,
The minister regretted that many hotels in Lagos and Abuja prefer being empty than to be used as quarantine centres for Nigerians returning from overseas.
He explained that evacuation of Nigerians abroad would have started on Monday but for certain challenges that have made the process difficult.
Onyeama said one of the challenges is finding quarantine centres approved by medical authorities to monitor the evacuees.
He said: “We did not want a situation where people from outside coming in bring more positive cases and exacerbate what is already becoming the big challenge here.
“Most of the hotels do not want to get into a situation of being used as quarantine centres, notwithstanding the fact that they are all empty; but they, for some reason, seem to prefer to remain empty than to be places of quarantine.”
He said the ministry and the Lagos state government have been trying to find hotels that would volunteer to accommodate those coming into Lagos.
“They (Lagos state government) have also been facing the same major challenge in Lagos of finding people who, I mean, it’s all private enterprises willing to give up their hotels for this purpose.
“We have been able now to identify some hotels here in Abuja and also in Lagos.”
Onyeama said although some hotels have offered their services, they however want to be paid in advance.
“These hotels want to be paid way in advance. Arrangement is that the passengers (Nigerian evacuees) will have to pay for them, and so that mechanism is something that we’ll have to work out,” he added.
Onyeama also said Nigerians in Dubai who were meant to be evacuated last week, will arrive the country on May 4, 2020.
Meanwhile, Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire has said that the sharp increase of COVID-19 positive cases in Kano State concentrated in seven municipal council areas and also about the ‘unexplained’ deaths were not out of the ordinary.
According to him, there is national concern about the sharp increase of COVID-19 positive cases in Kano concentrated in seven municipal council areas and also about certain so-called ‘unexplained’ deaths. The authorities have explained that the latter were not out of the ordinary.
The minister added advisories have also been issued for Muslims to stay protected during this Ramadan season, saying that risk communications has also been intensified as jingles in local languages on physical distancing and stigmatisation across all states are being aired in radio.
“The concern at these figures is understandable but not altogether unexpected. They are evidence of improved testing, but also stronger signs of community transmission.
” The highly propagated social measures like distancing and postponement of all non-essential travel have had only limited success.
 “They must therefore also be a reminder that we need to redouble our efforts to comply with advisories, more especially as restrictions have been eased. Much more stringent compliance will be required.
“The Federal Ministry of Health, through the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control is continuing with expansion of the molecular laboratory network, and collaboration with the private sector in this and other regards,” he said.
The minister also said Kano would soon receive a high-powered nine-man delegation from the ministry on a fact-finding mission which will also offer support to the COVID-19 response in the state.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

First Lady Unveils 39th AWVCC in Abuja, as Nigeria Customs Secures Opening Victory

The 39th Women’s African Volleyball Club Championship kicked off in style on...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...

Niger Delta Sports Festival Kicks Off in Uyo, Aligns with RHINSE Initiative

The Niger Delta Sports Festival kicked off in grand style on Wednesday,...

Edo tribunal gives third judgment, dismisses PDP, Ighodalo’s petition against Okpebholo’s election

For the third time on Wednesday, the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...

NOC extols late Taekwondo President Saidu Abdullahi

The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) has described the passing away of Saidu...

FCT Minister Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors

In a significant stride towards enhancing healthcare services in the Federal Capital...

‘Small Girl, Big God’ – Korra Obidi celebrates US citizenship amid mixed reactions

Popular dancer and social media sensation Korra Obidi has officially become a...

Dayo Amusa reflects on motherhood and life’s trials in emotional post

Nollywood actress and singer Dayo Amusa is starting the new month with...

Annie Idibia embraces new chapter, partying seriously with Regina Daniels, others

Just weeks after leaving a rehabilitation facility, actress and estranged wife of...

NNPC Ltd Welcomes New GCEO, Board as Kyari Bows Out

The management and the staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited...

After 8-year incarceration, South African court acquits Nigerian televangelist Omotoso of rape charges

After eight years of incarceration, a South African court has found a...

Just in: Algiers-Abuja direct flights commence April 6 – Foreign Affairs Ministry

In a bid to foster stronger diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria...

Assassination allegation: Kogi govt. dismisses Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s claim as malicious, false

As reactions continue to trail the assassination allegation made by Sen. Natasha...

2025 National Police Day: FCT Police Kick Off Activities With Community Outreach, Clean-Up Exercise

In its effort to foster community policing and robust police-community relations, the...

NSC DG Olopade Congratulates Kida, New NNPCL Board Chair, Hopes for Better Synergy

The Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Bukola Olopade, has...