In a bid to minimize exposure to COVID-19, tanker drivers have been directed to stay at home with effect from Friday, March 27 and stop loading fuel at the depots.
The employers of the drivers under the aeigis of the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners asked its employees to withdraw their services from tomorrow, raising concerns about their safety and health.
“In its determination to control the spread of the disease, the Federal Government has banned all public meetings of 50 persons and above in any one place.
“In compliance with this directive, we have similarly directed all our employees (tanker drivers) to keep away from the depots and stay at home with effect from Friday, March 27, 2020 pending when the situation is brought under control.
“We owe it a duty to take all necessary steps to minimise their exposure to the deadly virus,’’ NARTO said in a statement signed by its President, Alhaji Yusuf Othman.
It noted with satisfaction measures taken so far by the Federal Government to manage the identified cases of COVID-19 and contain its spread.
On its part, NARTO said it would continue to monitor the trend of events “as we also consider the safety and welfare of our employees who form the vulnerable and integral part of the downstream sector of the petroleum industry.”
“This action is necessitated by the fact that our loading depots across the country are places of beehive of activities containing more than 500 persons at any one time.”
NARTO assured its workers that it would stand by them at this critical moment and urged them to be of good conduct and law-abiding.
While assuring Nigerians of its prayers on the current situation, the union said: “We join millions of our country men and women in prayers against the continued proliferation of the disease throughout the world.
“We are confident of the capacity of our health institutions to address the challenges which COVID-19 poses to our country and humanity as a whole.”
Latest on Coronavirus Convid-19