30.7 C
Abuja
Sunday, April 5, 2020

Poor sanitation and open defecation: Nigeria loses N455bn annually – Osinbajo

Must Read

Covid-19 lockdown violation: Funke Akindele arrested

: ... police issue warrant for hubby, Naira Marley For hosting a birthday party in violation of the COVID-19 lockdown, Funke Akindele,...

COVID-19 Fatalities : 36-year-old male patient dies of virus in Lagos, the second 

  The Lagos COVID-19 centre has lost another patient, according to the State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi. He announced...

SERAP asks FG, CBN to provide spending details on COVID-19 relief funds, school feeding

    Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has asked the Federal Government and Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to “provide...

 

…to end open defecation by 2025

 

Nigeria loses N455 billion annually to poor sanitation and open defecation, the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has said.

 

Quoting a World Bank report, Osinbajo said open defecation accounted for a third of the amount.

“The World Bank report on the economic impact of poor sanitation due to use of unsanitary or shared toilets and open defecation estimates that Nigeria loses N455 billion annually with open defecation accounting for a third of this amount.

 

“These costs include health care, loss of productivity, premature deaths, poor educational outcomes among others.

“The loss of lives and billions of naira to preventable water and sanitation related diseases as a result of inadequate basic water supply and sanitation
services is huge and should be brought to an end by an active collaboration between States and the Federal Government,’’ Osinbajo said.

 

He spoke in Abuja at the official launch of the ‘Clean Nigeria: Use the Toilet’ campaign under the National Programme to End Open Defecation in Nigeria.
Mr Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media  and Publicity, said in a statement that some governors, their representatives, ministers and market women attended the event.

 

The Vice President said:“We all must redouble our efforts and work together in order to meet the nation’s Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene needs.

“As a nation we simply cannot afford the huge costs including fatalities caused by preventable water and sanitation related diseases as a result of inadequate WASH services. In contributing to the government’s efforts, citizens must take action to avoid open defecation.
“But perhaps some of the more dire costs of open defecation are those that cannot be quantified in monetary terms, the social costs, loss of dignity, lack of privacy and increased vulnerability to physical attacks and violence especially for women and girls.”

 

“To this end, States and the Federal Capital Territory should consider common sense policy measures such as ensuring that construction sites are equipped with toilet facilities.
“Property development control regulators can also make it mandatory forbuildings to include external toilet facilities for staff such as security guards.

 

These and other such measures will reduce the incidence of public defecation.
“As the President said during the launch of the National Action Plan last year, Federal Government’s support to States will be based on their commitment to implement the National WASH Action Plan in their respective states and to end open defecation by 2025.’’

 

On the measures initiated to by the Federal Government to boost Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) across the country, the Vice President said the administration was committed to the development of the WASH sector.

 

“The National Action Plan is phased into Emergency, Recovery and Revitalization stages”.
“In the emergency stage, it is our desire to aggressively mobilize the entire country towards ending the practice of open defecation”.
Earlier in his remarks, the Minister of Water Resources, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu,
commended the federal government’s collaboration with state governors and development partners in a bid to end open defecation by 2025.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Covid-19 lockdown violation: Funke Akindele arrested

: ... police issue warrant for hubby, Naira Marley For hosting a birthday party in violation of the COVID-19 lockdown, Funke Akindele,...

COVID-19 Fatalities : 36-year-old male patient dies of virus in Lagos, the second 

  The Lagos COVID-19 centre has lost another patient, according to the State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi. He announced on Sunday: “We lost a...

SERAP asks FG, CBN to provide spending details on COVID-19 relief funds, school feeding

    Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has asked the Federal Government and Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to “provide spending details of public funds...

10 new cases push Nigeria’s coronavirus patients to 224

    The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Sunday confirmed 10 new cases of coronavirus, increasing the total number to 224. “Ten new cases of...

COVID-19 claims medical doctor, two other Nigerians in US

  Three Nigerians including a medical doctor have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the United States, a report said on Sunday.The Consul General...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -