Amid denials and cover-ups, the Presidency has confirmed and justified the sack of some 35 aides of Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo.
The Presidency said on Friday: “President Muhammadu Buhari laid off some aides to Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo as part of the ongoing overhauling of the seat of government.
“The exercise, which has been ordered by the President, is to streamline decision-making, cut down multiple authorities and reduce the cost of administration.
“It is also an appropriate response to the general perception that the Presidency has an oversized and bloated workforce which acts as a drag on efficiency.’’
Justifying the lay-off, the Presidency’s statement also said: “As may have been noticed by discerning members of the public, a number of political appointees among the few that served in the office of the President were not returned for the Second Term.
“The office of the Vice President, His Excellency Yemi Osinbajo has, in compliance with the directive of the President, equally been shed of a number of such appointees.’’
The statement was signed by the Presidential Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu.
Persecondnews had reported that no fewer than 35 aides of Osinbajo had been sacked by the president which was “denied’’ by Vice-President’s media aide, Laolu Akande.