27 C
Abuja
Friday, July 3, 2020

Sri Lanka Bombings were retaliation for Christchurch attack, says defence minister

Must Read

COVID-19: Poor sensitization, advocacy at grassroots may hinder fight – Monarch

  Poor public sensitization, enlightenment and advocacy may have dogged the fight against the COVI9-19 pandemic particularly at the grassroots,...

COVID-19 : NAFDAC officials swoop on herbal product unveiling event, seal factory 

  Disorder and commotion reigned in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital at the unveiling of an anti-COVID-19 herbal syrup as officials...

COVID-19 transmission: NCDC blames youths, says responsible for fatalities of the aged 

  The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has blamed youths for the transmission of Coronavirus and infecting the elderly across...

Sri Lankan Defence Minister Ruwan Wijewardene told Parliament Tuesday afternoon initial investigations suggests the bombings were a retaliation against last month’s attack on Christchurch mosques in New Zealand. He did not offer evidence or a source for this information.

The claim has been sharply questioned by the New Zealand government, and terror experts who said the coordinated attacks would have taken months to plan.

Meanwhile, the Islamic State group is claiming responsibility for the Easter attacks in Sri Lanka that killed at least 321 people, but offered no evidence.

The extremist group made the claim on Tuesday via its Aamaq news agency.

The claim said: “The perpetrators of the attack that targeted nationals of the countries of the coalitions and Christians in Sri Lanka before yesterday are fighters from the Islamic State.”

Sri Lanka’s intelligence service, acting on a tip-off from international agencies, sent a memo to key security officials on April 11 warning that plans were being made for attacks on churches, hotels and the High Commission of India. The communique gave the names, addresses and phone numbers of suspects, but the authorities apparently did not act.

President Maithripala Sirisena visited  the area on Monday morning. “Why did he even come here?” asked a young woman, who preferred not to be named.

“They have failed,” said Father Fernando. “They should have informed the church. It was written in [the letter]. We would have cancelled the services.”

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

COVID-19: Poor sensitization, advocacy at grassroots may hinder fight – Monarch

  Poor public sensitization, enlightenment and advocacy may have dogged the fight against the COVI9-19 pandemic particularly at the grassroots,...

COVID-19 : NAFDAC officials swoop on herbal product unveiling event, seal factory 

  Disorder and commotion reigned in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital at the unveiling of an anti-COVID-19 herbal syrup as officials of the National Agency for...

COVID-19 transmission: NCDC blames youths, says responsible for fatalities of the aged 

  The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has blamed youths for the transmission of Coronavirus and infecting the elderly across the country,. It said younger people of...

NSITF MD, Executive Directors, others given the boot 

  The Managing Director/Chief Executive of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF), Mr Adebayo Somefun, has been suspended indefinitely on the orders of President...

NNPC allays fears of fire outbreak on vandalized Lagos pipeline  

  The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has allayed the fears of Lagos residents of a possible fire outbreak from a vandalized point on its...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -