The organised labour union has called off the nationwide industrial action initially scheduled to commence on Monday midnight to press home workers’ demand for a new national minimum wage.
The National Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba, told newsmen at the end of tripartite committee set up to come up with the new minimum wage on Monday evening that the decision to suspend the action was reached after agreements were reached and documents signed.
“Having reached this position and agreements signed, the proposed strike action is hereby suspended,” he said.
Wabba who did not disclose the figure of the new minimum wage arrived at by the committee, added however that only one figure would be presented to the President.
The Chairman of the committee, Ama Pepple, expressed delight that their assignment had been concluded.
“I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday.
“We will reveal the figure at the presentation,” she said.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, thanked members of the committee for doing a wonderful job.
He described the process as a long journey.
“The committee has worked assiduously to reach the conclusion,” he said.
PSN online prides itself in its ability to generate and publish quality content that attracts a broad user base. Our editorial team situated across the continent, works day and night to update our sites, with a special focus on breaking news flashes.