HighlightTop Story

Boko Haram kills eight soldiers in Yobe raid

1.2k
Advertisement




At least eight soldiers were killed in heavy fighting when Boko Haram raided a military camp and looted food from villagers in Yobe state, a military source disclosed on Thursday.

The attack in Sasawa village, some 45 kilometres (28 miles) from the Yobe state capital, Damaturu, happened at about 5:00 pm on Tuesday.

It was the third Boko Haram attack on the military in the remote region in the last two weeks, after a relative lull during the rainy season, which ended last month.

The spokesman for 3 Division Nigerian Army in Damaturu, Colonel Kayode Ogunsanya, on Wednesday confirmed the attack, saying only that there were “casualties on both sides”.

But a military commander in the city said the death toll had risen.

“So far we lost eight men in the Boko Haram terrorist attack on the 233 Battalion in Sasawa village: seven soldiers and the field officer,” he told AFP on condition of anonymity.

“Their bodies have been recovered. But many others are still missing. It is not clear whether they are dead or alive.”

Author

See also  FCTA demolishes illegal oil refining warehouse in Mabushi, Abuja

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Tinubu suspends 3 Perm Secs as ICPC uncovers another fake agency

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate suspension of three Permanent Secretaries...

Eid ul Mawlid: FG Declares August 25 Public Holiday

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, a...

FG to Diplomatic Missions: Bypassing Official Channels No Longer Welcome

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Foreign embassies in Abuja face a tighter diplomatic environment...

Edo Governor’s Feud with Davido Escalates: Singer Barred From State Over WAEC Result Leak

By Segun Adebayo Apostle Kassy Chukwu, Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media...