BusinessOil & GasTrending Story

Another crisis rocks Seplat Energy as it terminates consultancy agreement with ex-chairman

1.1k
Advertisement




An end is not in sight yet to the crisis rocking Seplat Energy as its Board of Directors unanimously terminated the consultancy agreement involving the company’s wholly-owned subsidiary and its co-founder and immediate past chairman, A.B.C. Orjiako.

It terminated the agreement on February 13, 2023 after repeated warnings of infractions.

Mr Orjiako, acting through Amaze Limited, was required to offer specified support with some external stakeholder engagements after exiting the board last year according to details of the pact, Seplat said in a statement on Thursday.

Members of the board of directors of Nigeria’s biggest oil & gas company by market value unanimously terminated the consultancy agreement on 13 February after several warnings of infractions including “unilaterally making significant commitments on Seplat’s letterhead without prior board authority or knowledge.

“This course of action was necessary to protect the Company and its Shareholders, Directors, and Officers from potential and increasing liability arising from the conduct of the Consultants, Dr. Orjiako and Amaze Limited,” the document said.

Seplat Energy, listed on stock exchanges in London and Lagos, has commenced a legal action against Mr Orjiako and Amaze Limited at the Federal High Court in Abuja in a bid to seek legal redress.

Seplat Energy spent over $450 million on goods and services supplied by 18 firms connected to Mr Orjiako and Austin Avuru, its former CEO over 12 years, the bulk of the payments coming after the company went public, according to its annual reports.

In March 2023, a Lagos Federal High Court had restrained Seplat’s CEO Roger Brown from participating in the management and running of the company after allegations of favouritism, racism, discrimination and flouting of corporate governance principles.

See also  Senator Ndoma-Egba loses mum, mother-in-law - announce low key interment fixed for Aug. 4

Persecondnews recalls that shares in Seplat Energy had fallen by 0.5 per cent in London at 10:39 WAT, following the announcement, trading at £0.29 per unit.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Wunti’s Expertise Positions Nigeria to Maximise Return to World Energy Council — Former OPEC Chief, Aduda

Nigeria’s return to the World Energy Council (WEC), backed by the appointment...

From the Pulpit to the Boardroom: Pastor Jerry Eze Joins Heirs Life Board

Heirs Life Assurance has appointed Pastor Jerry Eze, one of Africa’s most...

Jarvis Clarifies Controversial ‘Womb Shifter’ Comment Following Online Backlash

By Segun Adebayo Content creator Jarvis has shut down rumors that she...

Fuel Subsidy Savings Channeled to Minimum Wage, Debt, and Loans, Says Finance Minister Oyedele

Savings realized from Nigeria’s petrol subsidy removal are being channeled into national...