Highlight

FCTA Strike: NLC Defies Court Order, Tells Workers to Continue Action

"We hereby reaffirm and reinforce the directive to all affiliate unions in the FCT to not only proceed with the ongoing action but to intensify and sustain it until all workers' demands are fully addressed"

372

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has signaled its intent to continue industrial action in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), despite a court order to halt the strike.

The dispute centres on unpaid wages and benefits, alongside broader calls for improved workplace welfare.

“We hereby reaffirm and reinforce the directive to all affiliate unions in the FCT to not only proceed with the ongoing action but to intensify and sustain it until all workers’ demands are fully addressed,” wrote Acting General Secretary Benson Upah in a circular released Tuesday night.

Upah emphasized that the strike would continue until issues such as unpaid wage awards, promotion arrears, and non-remittance of pension and National Housing Fund deductions are resolved.

“This struggle demands unity, discipline, and unwavering commitment. All affiliates are expected to comply strictly with this directive in the collective interest of the Nigerian working class,” he said.

The NLC also warned against any attempt to withdraw from the strike, stating that such action would embolden further violations against workers.

“An injury to one is an injury to all,” Upah added.

The strike has been ongoing since January 19, with workers demanding better working conditions and payment of outstanding wages and benefits.

The FCT Minister, Mr. Nyesom Wike, had approached the National Industrial Court to stop the strike, but the NLC has vowed to defy the court order.

Wike emphasized that disobeying a valid court order has consequences, stating, “Are there no consequences for disobeying the law? Must we allow people break the law flagrantly? I have given them a window but from tomorrow, if they don’t come to work, we will apply the big stick.”

See also  Nigeria Choir Performs in State of Maryland

The minister also warned that anyone attempting to block the gate would be made a scapegoat, saying, “From tomorrow (Wednesday), if we see anybody who wants to block the gate, they will be made a scapegoat. The law must take its place.”

Wike maintained that the FCTA had been open to dialogue, with discussions held between labour representatives and management.

“We have been disposed to dialogue. They have met with management, so what are the issues? If genuinely they want dialogue, then we’ll talk,” he said.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

2027 Polls: Senate Cuts INEC Notice Period to 300 Days to Avoid Ramadan Clash

In an emergency session on Tuesday, the Senate moved to protect the...

Broken Trust: How a Social Media Post Triggered Osimhen’s Napoli Exit

Nigerian international and Galatasaray striker Victor Osimhen has disclosed that his once-strong...

Viral Sexual Assault Video: Lagos Agency Initiates Rescue, Support for Young Woman

The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) has launched an...

Alert: Locally Fabricated Food Grinders Fueling Organ Failure Crisis in Nigeria – FIIRO

The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO), has raised a major...