Highlight

Court Ruling: Return to Work or Face Consequences – FCT Minister Wike

"Are there no consequences for disobeying the law? Must we allow people break the law flagrantly? I have given them a window but from tomorrow, if they don't come to work, we will apply the big stick"

492

Following a court-ordered end to the FCTA workers strike, Minister Nyesom Wike warned staff that failure to return to work would result in immediate sanctions.

The strike, which commenced Monday under the direction of the NLC, was a protest against outstanding promotion arrears and deteriorating work environments.

Briefing journalists on Tuesday, the Minister underscored his administration’s stance on the rule of law, stating that “disobeying a valid court order has consequences” for those who refuse to resume duty.

“Are there no consequences for disobeying the law? Must we allow people break the law flagrantly? I have given them a window but from tomorrow, if they don’t come to work, we will apply the big stick,” he said.

The minister also warned that anyone attempting to block the gate would be made a scapegoat, saying, “From tomorrow (Wednesday), if we see anybody who wants to block the gate, they will be made a scapegoat. The law must take its place”.

Wike said the FCTA had been open to dialogue, with discussions held between labour representatives and management.

“We have been disposed to dialogue. They have met with management, so what are the issues? If genuinely they want dialogue, then we’ll talk,” he said.

Persecondnews reported that the strike, which began on Monday, January 26, had disrupted administrative operations across the capital, with workers demanding better work conditions and payment of promotion arrears.

Armed with placards like “Enough is Enough” and “Wike Must Go,” the workers marched through the court premises, chanting solidarity songs and citing “hostile labour relations” as the primary driver of their unrest.

See also  Dangote Sugar denies price fixing, says it's unethical

Wike had approached the National Industrial Court to challenge the legality of the strike.

According to the FCTA, the industrial action violated established labour procedures, including failure to exhaust dispute-resolution mechanisms before embarking on a total shutdown.

The FCTA leadership contended that the industrial action poses a significant threat to public order and the delivery of essential services across the capital.

Officials defended their decision to seek a judicial interpretation, describing it as a necessary measure to ensure the continuity of governance and to prevent the city from being held to ransom by a prolonged strike.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

2027 Polls: Senate Cuts INEC Notice Period to 300 Days to Avoid Ramadan Clash

In an emergency session on Tuesday, the Senate moved to protect the...

Broken Trust: How a Social Media Post Triggered Osimhen’s Napoli Exit

Nigerian international and Galatasaray striker Victor Osimhen has disclosed that his once-strong...

Viral Sexual Assault Video: Lagos Agency Initiates Rescue, Support for Young Woman

The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) has launched an...

Alert: Locally Fabricated Food Grinders Fueling Organ Failure Crisis in Nigeria – FIIRO

The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO), has raised a major...