Highlight

Updated: Abuja-Kaduna train derailment: Rescue operation ongoing – NRC MD Opeifa

1.2k
Advertisement




Rescue teams are currently on site at the Abuja-Kaduna train derailment, working to locate and assist those affected.

Kayode Opeifa, the Managing Director of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC), provided an update to reporters on Tuesday, confirming that rescue operations are in full swing following the incident.

He said: “I do not want to say much for now, but the incident is confirmed and the rescue operation is on as we speak.”

Persecondnews had previously reported that a passenger train en route from Abuja to Kaduna derailed on Tuesday, August 26, resulting in multiple carriages overturning and causing widespread panic among passengers.

A witness reported that the derailment occurred without warning, sparking chaos as passengers scrambled to evacuate the overturned carriages.

The witness said: “It is a complete pandemonium. People who were confirmed to be saved were seen running in different directions. It was pure panic.

“We can not confirm if everyone is safe yet but we pray everyone comes out alive.”

Although the exact cause of the derailment remains unclear at the time of this report, no casualties have been officially reported.

Persecondnews reports that the Kaduna–Abuja rail line is one of Nigeria’s most active rail corridors, used daily by hundreds of commuters.

The route has faced repeated disruptions over the years, including the March 2022 terrorist attack, which left several passengers dead and many abducted.

Author

See also  Breaking: Ademola Lookman ruled out of Rwanda clash due to injury, returns to Italy

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Centenarian Woman Arrested With Cannabis As NDLEA Uncovers First Thailand Maritime Drug Route

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The arrest of a 101-year-old woman for drug dealing...

Just In: Olabiyi-Agoro Succeeds Festus Osifo as New PENGASSAN President

The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) has...

US Court Blocks Trump’s Visa Suspension for Nigeria, 74 Countries

A US federal judge has struck down the Trump administration’s policy suspending...

Peter Obi Launches 2027 Presidential Campaign with New Blueprint for Nigeria

Peter Obi, the presidential candidate for the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), has...