HighlightTrending Story

Tinubu set to disburse N1.1trn to the “poorest of the poor”

The President had in his maiden Independence Day broadcast disclosed that the government would implement the conditional cash transfer targeted at the "poorest of the poor", commencing in October.

1.3k

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has launched the Renewed Hope Conditional Cash transfer for 15 million households with each of the beneficiaries receiving N25,000 for three months.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Sen. George Akume, who represented President Tinubu, at the World Poverty Eradication Day, held at the Press Gallery of the State House in Abuja on Tuesday, unveiled the programme.

In attendance were the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Eradication, Dr Betta Edu, the Minister Of Finance, Mr Wale Edun, the World Bank Country Director, Mr Shubham Chaudhuri and the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator For Nigeria, Mr Matthias Schmale among others.

The President had in his maiden Independence Day broadcast disclosed that the government would implement the conditional cash transfer targeted at the “poorest of the poor”, commencing in October.

“The social safety net is being extended through the expansion of cash transfer programs to an additional 15 million vulnerable households,” he said

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Eradication, Edu, in her remarks, said the 15 million households represents 62 million Nigerians.

She added that N25,000 would be transferred to the beneficiaries on a monthly basis for three months, which amounts to N75,000 for each of the beneficiaries.

The minister also disclosed that in no distant time, another scheme would be launched, code-named ‘Iya Loja Funds’ which would provide soft loans of N50,000 to support petty traders.

In addition, at the beginning of the next farming season, she said that farmers would be provided with incentives to boost their farm yields.

Persecond News had earlier reported that the federal government approached the World Bank for a fresh loan of $400m for the conditional cash transfer to 15 million households as one of the measures to cushion the effects of petrol subsidy removal on Nigerians.

The $400m brings to $1.2bn the amount that the Federal Government is borrowing from the World Bank for the cash transfer as it had earlier secured a loan of $800m for the same purpose.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Tinubu Appoints Ayo Sotinrin As Bank of Agriculture’s New MD

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Ayo Sotinrin as the new Managing Director...

FCT FA Unveils N720,000 Grant for Inter-Area Council Women’s Tournament

The Federal Capital Territory Football Association (FCT FA) has taken a significant...

Exclusive: Abuja 2025 AWVCC: Kenyan Prisons Club Coach Barasa Falls in Love with Nigerian dish, Fufu

The intense competition at the Africa Women’s Volleyball Championship has not stopped...

Exclusive: AWVCC Day 2: Nigeria’s Naval Spikers Set to Dethrone Zamalek of Egypt

Following Nigeria’s Chief Naval Spikers (CNS) victory over Botswana’s SSV in a...

NNPCL announces new eight-member management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has unveiled a new eight-member...

Abuja AWVCC: Al-Ahly of Egypt Dominates Soccocim of Senegal in Straight Sets

Record holders Al-Ahly of Egypt secured a convincing straight-set win (25-10, 25-14,...

Updated: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s lawyer pushes for consolidated hearing amid interview ban, case adjourned until May 12

Mr. Jibril Okutepa (SAN), counsel to the suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has...

Tinubu’s Adviser on Political Affairs, Dr. Baba-Ahmed, Quits

Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office...

Updated: Appeal Court lacks jurisdiction to enter any pronouncement in favour of Abure – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has ruled that the Appeal Court overstepped its bounds...

Just in: Akpabio denies Akpoti-Uduaghan’s assassination claim, calls allegation false, malicious

Few days after suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan accused him of working with...

Just in: Court bars parties in Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suit against Akpabio, others from press interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a gag order, prohibiting...

Court halts Pro-Wike rally in Bayelsa, adjourns until April 11 for hearing

A scheduled April 12 rally in support of Minister of the Federal...

Rivers Assembly bombing: Court restrains Police, SSS from arresting Fubara’s Chief of Staff, Ehie

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has issued an...

Oil price takes a hit, slides 6.8% to $69.90 per barrel due to Trump’s tariff

The price of Nigeria’s Bonny Light on Thursday dropped to $69.90 per...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...