Rotimi Amaechi
HighlightTop StoryTrending Story

ICTN contract: Amaechi in trouble as Abuja Court orders contempt proceedings against him  

91

The Minister of Transportation, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, has incurred the wrath of the law as a Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered contempt proceedings against him. Reason: Amaechi had flouted an earlier order made by the court. Amaechi has violated an order for him to maintain status quo issued on January 22, 2022 in a suit filed by a group — the Incorporated Trustees of Citizens Advocacy for Social and Economic Rights (CASER).

CASER is challenging the minister’s handling of the process of appointing operators of the International Cargo Tracking Note (ICTN) in Nigeria.

Persecondnews.com had reported that in the suit, CASER alleged among others, that the Amaechi manipulated the appointment process to the benefit of two local, unqualified and inexperienced companies for ICTN in the country – Medtech Scientific Ltd and. Rozi International Nigeria Ltd.

Co-defendants in the suit are the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Medtech Ltd and Rozi Ltd.

Issuing the order on Wednesday, Justice Donatus Okorowo said he had been informed that the minister had violated the court’s order on the matter.

Persecondnews reports that the plaintiff (CASER) is asking the court for among others:

“A a declaration that in view of the mandatory provisions of sections 40(1), 24 & 25 of the Public Procurement Act 2007, it is ultra vires the powers of the 1st defendant to seek Mr. President’s anticipatory approval for due process “no objection” from the 2nd defendant for the appointment of the 4th defendant as technical partners to the 5th defendant to provide international cargo tracking note in the country.

“A declaration that Mr. President was misled by the 1st defendant in granting the anticipatory approval dated 19th august, 2021 to enable the 1st defendant request for due process “no objection” from the 2nd defendant for the appointment of the 4th defendant as technical partners to the 5th defendant to provide international cargo tracking note contrary to the mandatory provisions of sections 40(1), 24 & 25 of the public procurement act, 2007.

“An order nullifying the entire process of appointing the 4th and 5th defendant as operator of the international cargo tracking note in the country.

“An order stopping the proposed and imminent appointment of the 4th and 5th defendants as the operators of the International Cargo Tracking Note (ICTN) in Nigeria in view of the clear breach of the provision of Public Procurement Act, 2007.

“An order of mandamus directing the first and second defendants (Transportation Minister and BPP) to conduct an international competitive bidding to ensure the proper selection of the service provider for the International Cargo Tracking Note (ICTN) in Nigeria.”

On Wednesday, the plaintiff’s lawyer, Abdulhakeem Mustapha (SAN) told the court that Amaechi defied the order for the maintenance of status quo and continued with the appointment process and currently on the verge of completing the process of appointment.

“He (Amaechi) has taken fundamental steps on the subject matter of this suit, and we have documents to be placed before the court to establish that he has ignored the order of the court completely.

“In order to protect the sanctity of this honorable court, we have issued Form 48 against the Minister of Transportation.

“With the commencement of this committal process, which takes precedence over any other matter, we urge this court to suspend further proceedings in the substantive suit,” he told the court.

Mustapha said having issued Form 48 on the Minister, he was in the process of filing a motion on notice to commit the minister to prison.

In response, Amaechi’s lawyer, Mr Omosanya Popoola, admitted receiving a letter notifying him of the issuance of Form 48 on the minister.

According to him, Amaechi is a law abiding citizen and he is yet to be served with Form 48

Also Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP)’s counsel, Chief Akin Olujinmi (SAN) said it has not been served with the Form 48 “personally as required by law”.

In his submission, counsel to the Attorney General of the Federation, Mr Mohammed Sheriff, agreed with the submissions by lawyers to Amaechi and BPP that proceedings in the main suit should not be halted.

In his ruling, Justice Okorowo agreed to suspend proceedings in the main suit, saying “once the issue of contempt is raised, the court must suspend proceedings.”

He said: “The court will not close its eyes when being told that its orders are being flouted. We have to suspend proceedings for the court to ascertain the veracity of the allegations.”

The judge then directed plaintiff’s lawyer to proceed to file a motion on notice with an affidavit to establish the facts of the alleged violation of court’s orders which must be filed and served before the next adjournment.

Meanwhile, the court has fixed ruling for May 9 on the application filed by a company — Antaser Nigeria Ltd — seeking to be joined as a party in the suit.

Antaser’s counsel, Mr James Onoja (SAN) told the court that his client was a necessary party in the case because it sought to participate in the bidding process, but was unlawfully excluded.

CASER had averred in an affidavit supporting the substantive suit that the purported procurement process, leading to the appointment of the fourth and fifth defendants (Medtech and  Rozi) as companies providing ICTN services did not follow due process and known procurement procedures.

It raised the alarm then that President Muhammadu Buhari was misguided and hoodwinked into granting an “anticipatory approval” for a direct appointment of the fourth and fifth defendants’ companies.

CASER had insisted: “The approval by Mr. President cannot waive the procurement process stipulated under the Public Procurement Act.

“The steps of the first and second defendants (Transport Minister and BPP)  by opting for selective bidding and or direct procurement method amount to a willful violation of due process and a desperate design to circumvent the provisions of the Procurement Act by abandoning the demands of fairness, competitiveness, accountability and transparency as envisaged by the Act.

“The failure of the relevant agencies to follow due process and appoint qualified companies contributed immensely to the failure of the ICTN project in the year 2010 and 2015.

“The appointment of the fourth and fifth defendants without due process will further worsen the already threatened security and fragile economy of this country.”

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Alleged N178bln debt: Reps dismiss petition against NPA, laud Bello-Koko, NPA 

A petition alleging that Mr. Bello Koko, the Managing Director of the...

FG set to sign executive order to control rising drug prices

In a bid to control escalating drug prices across the country, the...

Akeredolu: Pres. Tinubu in Owo, Ondo State, extols him a fearless fighter

Barely a week after the late Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu,...

Abuja power supply drops by 250 MW as vandals destroy Gwagwalada-Katampe transmission line

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has disclosed that Tower 70 along...

NNPC Ltd, OPEC pledge collaboration to attract investments, grow production

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) and the Organization of the...

Just in: Senate grants Tinubu’s request to sack FCCP boss

The Senate has approved President Bola Tinubu’s request to sack the Federal...

Oronsaye report: FG allays fear of job losses in rationalized agencies, parastatals

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has dismissed the...

Family releases funeral rites for Access Holdings CEO, Wigwe, wife, son

The family of the late Herbert Wigwe, the former Group Chief Executive...

Fear grips fans as Nasty Blaq reveals battle with undisclosed ailment

Fans of popular skitmaker Nasty Blaq are apprehensive over news that their...

Why we suspended our nationwide protest – NLC

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its two-day national protest as...

#50thAnniversary: PUNCH photo exhibition opens February 28, Soyinka delivers anniversary lecture February 29

A three-day photo exhibition, as part of events marking the 50th anniversary...

Kunle Afolayan insists criticisms over dancing with daughter can’t break him

Famous filmmaker Kunle Afolayan has stirred controversy following a video showing him...

Coup scare: It’s fake news, disinformation act — Information Minister

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mr Mohammed Idris, has reacted...

Lagos Speaker, lawmakers receive protesters, hail NLC for peaceful conduct

Protesting members of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and other related organizations...

Breaking: CBN raises MPR to 22.75%, up by 400 basis points

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), after its first Monetary Policy Committee...

Just in: Sachet water, biscuits distributed to protesters in Lagos as police provide security

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) nationwide protest kicked off across the country...

NDLEA records largest heroin seizure at Lagos Airport

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says it has successfully intercepted...

CBN to sell dollar at N1,301 to authorized BDC

In its bid to increase liquidity, strengthen the naira, and curb distortion...

Mavin Records, Universal Music Group forge partnership to elevate African music globally

Mavin Records, the well-known Nigerian record label that Don Jazzy founded, unveiled...