HighlightSportsTrending Story

CAF Election: Ahmad Only Possible Obstacle To Motsepe Becoming CAF President

964
Advertisement




 

 

By Boye Ajayi

Currently, only incumbent Ahmad Ahmad potentially stands in the way of South African billionaire and current sole candidate, Patrice Motsepe, becoming the eighth President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) this Friday, reports Persecondnews.

A verdict is expected on Monday by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on an appeal by Malagasy Ahmad against a five-year ban imposed by FIFA last November over “governance issues”.

The world football governing body said the 61-year-old had “breached his duty of loyalty, offered gifts and other benefits, mismanaged funds and abused his position as the CAF president”.

Ahmad appealed to CAS within two days of the ban being announced and was allowed to return to his CAF post in January pending the outcome.

A CAF executive committee member, speaking on condition of anonymity, said he believed the best Ahmad could hope for was “a lesser suspension”.

“Some of the evidence against him (Ahmad) is strong and I would be shocked if the five-year ban was scrapped,” he said.

However, the appeal would have to be completely upheld for the former Malagasy fisheries minister to have a chance of opposing Motsepe, who has the backing of FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

“In the unlikely event of the appeal being upheld, Ahmed would have two choices,” said the CAF source. “He can try to defy the odds and seek a second four-year term or bow out gracefully.

“Were he cleared by CAS, he might draw strength from the fact that 46 (of 54) national association presidents publicly stated a few months ago that they wanted him to continue as CAF president.

See also  I'm unperturbed by paid protesters, focused on delivering Pres.Tinubu's mandate - Wike

“That said, some of my colleagues are convinced FIFA will pull out all the stops to prevent Ahmad running again, even if the CAS decision goes in his favour.”

No objection

The eight countries who did not sign a statement supporting the Malagasy were Algeria, Botswana, the Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Uganda and Zimbabwe.

A meeting of the CAF executive committee in Cameroon last month said a final decision on whether Ahmad could run lay with FIFA.

This move came after the CAF governance committee, comprising lawyers from Cameroon, the Ivory Coast, South Africa, Tunisia and Zambia, said it had no objection to Ahmad running again.

After Ahmad was banned, four potential successors emerged: Motsepe, Ivorian Jacques Anouma, Senegalese Augustin Senghor and Mauritanian Ahmed Yahya.

Anouma, Senghor and Yahya withdrew from the race this weekend, saying they were putting the interests of African football ahead of personal ambitions.

It was a particularly tough decision for Anouma, as he is 69 and will be too old to contest future CAF presidential elections.

The plan is for Motsepe, 58, to be elected president this week in Rabat with Senghor, 55, and Yahya, 44, becoming vice presidents and Anouma a special advisor.

Ahmad was a shock presidential election winner in 2017, ending the 29-year reign of Cameroonian Issa Hayatou by 34 votes to 20 in Addis Ababa.

But after a promising start in which he gave voices to a wide range of stakeholders, including former stars, CAF deteriorated under his leadership.

South African online newspaper the Daily Maverick recently described the Cairo-based body as a “cesspool of corruption and self interest”.

See also  Exclusive: CAF to train 1125 experts to curb football violence, hooliganism in Africa, says Dr. Emeruwa

Whoever is CAF president on March 12 will find an “in-tray stacked with challenges” and a virtually “empty out-tray.”

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

US Court Blocks Trump’s Visa Suspension for Nigeria, 74 Countries

A US federal judge has struck down the Trump administration’s policy suspending...

Peter Obi Launches 2027 Presidential Campaign with New Blueprint for Nigeria

Peter Obi, the presidential candidate for the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), has...

Tinubu Sets Up 2027 Presidential Campaign Machinery, Appoints Yari DG, Uzodimma Secretary

To kick off electioneering ahead of the 2027 general elections, President Bola...

Eid ul Mawlid: FG Declares August 25 Public Holiday

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, a...