Top Story

Niger says days of raids kill 280 Boko Haram extremists

775


(AP) — Niger’s defense ministry says several days of raids have killed more than 280 Boko Haram extremists near the border with Nigeria.

The statement says the land and air raids began on Dec. 28, with more than 200 extremists killed in airstrikes.

Nigeria in November held an urgent meeting with neighbors about what it called an extremist resurgence fueled by the new use of drones.

Niger’s statement says no troops were killed in the raids in its east. It notes that Nigeria “suffered a string of recent attacks on its military bases” and that the extremists had been reinvigorated.

Niger’s defense minister last month said he feared Boko Haram would launch renewed attacks from January, when the Komadougou-Yobe river which usually prevents border incursions begins to recede.

Author

See also  Boko Haram is not getting stronger, we have contained them- Lai

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NNPC Questions Dangote Refinery’s Capacity To Solely Meet Nigeria’s Fuel Demand

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has accused the Dangote Petroleum Refinery...

NPA MD Dantsoho Calls for Urgent Modernization of West Africa’s Ports

By Joycelyn Ellakeche Adah Ships are expanding, cargo loads are heavy, and...

Tinubu Not Renaming Nigeria or Scrapping Sharia, Presidency Fires Back at Viral Fake News

The Presidency on Thursday dismissed as “false, dangerous and provocative” a viral...

Breaking: Court Voids INEC’s Shortened Timelines for 2027 Party Primaries, Candidate Substitution

By Omoyeni Ojeifo An Abuja Federal High Court has ruled that INEC...