Reports indicate that Boko Haram, has reportedly returned the schoolgirls kidnapped from a school in Yobe State some weeks ago.
“Yes, the girls are being transported to safety. We will give details later. We thank God,” presidential spokesman Garba Shehu said.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the 76 of the girls have been documented so far, adding that the release of the abducted students is ongoing.
He said the girls were released around 3 a.m. through back-channel efforts and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional.
”For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.
”Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost,” Alhaji Mohammed said.
He said the number of the freed girls would be updated
President Buhari, last week told the parents of the 110 abducted schoolgirls that he had ordered all military and security agencies to search for them, in his first visit to Yobe since the suspected militants took them a month ago.
“I’ve directed the army, air force, police, DSS and the rest of the security agencies to find the girls wherever they are,” he said.