HealthHighlightTop StoryTrending Story

FG warns against resurgence of Lassa Fever, Ebola, others

383

 

The Federal Government has warned against possible resurgence of other non-COVID-19 killer-diseases such as  Lassa Fever and Ebola particularly during the approaching dry season.

It expressed concern over the number of new confirmed cases of the deadly Lassa fever which has increased in the last week to 11 cases.

The Minister of State for Health, Dr Olorunnimbe Mamora, gave the warning on Thursday in Abuja at the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 briefing.

Mamora said that while government was striving to contain the spread of coronavirus,  it  will continue to “keep an eye” on other diseases that threaten the lives of the people.

“One of such diseases is Lassa fever which is a viral haemorrhagic disease characterized by one or more of the following symptoms: malaise, fever, headache, sore throat, cough, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle pain, chest pain, hearing loss.

“So far this year, we have recorded 1131 confirmed cases in 27 states. However, the number of new confirmed cases of Lassa, has increased from three in the last week to 11 cases this week,” the minister said.

Mamora said this year alone, the nation had recorded 233 deaths with a case fatality rate (CFR) of 20.6 percent, which is slightly lower than the CFR for the same period in 2019 (21.0 percent).

“Although nearly three-quarters of the confirmed cases are in Ondo state, Lassa fever can affect anyone anywhere. We therefore advise all to be vigilant and especially as we approach the season when we usually record increased incidence.”

According to him, fatality is lower if the patients report early for treatment.

He advised that any individual presenting with the above symptoms and with either a history of contact with excreta or urine of rodents or history of contact with a probable or confirmed Lassa fever case within a period of 21 days of onset of symptoms or any person with inexplicable bleeding to visit the nearest health facility immediately for testing and treatment.

On coronavirus, Mamora disclosed that 180 new confirmed cases and two deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours bringing to 64,516, the total number of confirmed cases so far recorded in Nigeria from 697,544 persons tested for COVID-19.

“A total of 60,737 cases have been treated and discharged while there are currently 2617 active cases currently receiving care at home or in a facility. We have sadly recorded 1,162 deaths with a case fatality rate of 1.8 percent.

“We are cautiously impressed that the number of active cases is reducing as more persons are being discharged and the recovery rate is increasing,” he said.

Mamora said that the government is committed to sustaining the gains by ensuring quality care for all those who test positive.

The minister said that officers of the Federal Ministry of Health, NCDC and NPHCDA in collaboration with some partners are on supportive supervision visits to the state treatment facilities to ensure quality assurance and strengthen case management capacities in all the facilities.

Mamora also said that the government is investigating the incidence of unexplained deaths in Delta and Enugu States, adding that a team of experts had been dispatched to the states to support the states’ investigation.

“In Delta State, 23 cases have been reported with 17 deaths  while in Enugu State, 51 deaths have been reported. In both states, most of the affected cases are males aged between one to 55 years.

“Most reported cases presented with fever, headache, fatigue, and weakness, jaundice, abdominal pain, vomiting (with or without blood), nose bleeding, blood in stools/urine, convulsions and unconsciousness.

“As at the 6th of November, three samples from Delta and one sample from Enugu have been confirmed positive for yellow fever. We shall provide further updates at subsequent briefing,” Mamora said.

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NNPCL announces new eight-member management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has unveiled a new eight-member...

Abuja AWVCC: Al-Ahly of Egypt Dominates Soccocim of Senegal in Straight Sets

Record holders Al-Ahly of Egypt secured a convincing straight-set win (25-10, 25-14,...

Updated: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s lawyer pushes for consolidated hearing amid interview ban, case adjourned until May 12

Mr. Jibril Okutepa (SAN), counsel to the suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has...

Tinubu’s Adviser on Political Affairs, Dr. Baba-Ahmed, Quits

Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office...

Updated: Appeal Court lacks jurisdiction to enter any pronouncement in favour of Abure – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has ruled that the Appeal Court overstepped its bounds...

Just in: Akpabio denies Akpoti-Uduaghan’s assassination claim, calls allegation false, malicious

Few days after suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan accused him of working with...

Just in: Court bars parties in Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suit against Akpabio, others from press interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a gag order, prohibiting...

Court halts Pro-Wike rally in Bayelsa, adjourns until April 11 for hearing

A scheduled April 12 rally in support of Minister of the Federal...

Breaking: Supreme Court removes Abure as Labour Party National Chairman

In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court on Friday removed Julius Abure...

Rivers Assembly bombing: Court restrains Police, SSS from arresting Fubara’s Chief of Staff, Ehie

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has issued an...

Hours after Pres. Tinubu departs for France, VP Shettima jets out for Senegal’s 65th Independence

Vice President Kashim Shettima on Thursday departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal, to...

Oil price takes a hit, slides 6.8% to $69.90 per barrel due to Trump’s tariff

The price of Nigeria’s Bonny Light on Thursday dropped to $69.90 per...

First Lady Unveils 39th AWVCC in Abuja, as Nigeria Customs Secures Opening Victory

The 39th Women’s African Volleyball Club Championship kicked off in style on...

Updated: INEC Reveals Why Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Recall Failed to Gain Momentum

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not proceed with...

My alleged collapse, a desperate attempt to score cheap political points – Wike

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has categorically denied social media...

Breaking: Akpoti-Uduaghan’s recall: INEC rejects petition, cites failure to meet constitutional requirements

The petition to recall Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central Senatorial District,...

Edo Elections Tribunal’s Judgment, Temporary Setback, Set To Appeal – PDP Chairman

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal’s verdict of April 2 has...

National Unity Torch Ignites in Nasarawa, Benue States, Fostering Spirit of Unity, Solidarity

The Unity Torch for the 22nd National Sports Festival has successfully made...

Abuja AWVCC: APR Rwanda Stages Dramatic Comeback to Defeat Carthage Tunisia 3-1

In a thrilling match at the ongoing 2025 African Women’s Volleyball Club...

Trump Unveils Sweeping Trade Tariff Plan, Redefining Global Commerce

In a move that could significantly impact global trade, U.S. President Donald...