Nasir-El-Rufai Former Governor, Kaduna State
Top Story

Breaking: Wiretap: FG Hauls El-Rufai to Court Over Intercepted NSA Conversations

610


Former Kaduna Gov. Nasir El-Rufai has been arraigned at the Federal High Court in Abuja for allegedly intercepting the phone calls of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu.
The charges follow a February 13, 2026, interview on Arise TV, where El-Rufai reportedly admitted that he and several associates—who remain at large—had accessed the NSA’s private communications.
The Department of State Services (DSS) contends that this breach compromised national security and public safety.
Federal prosecutors further allege that El-Rufai knowingly associated with the hackers without notifying authorities, violating both the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The prosecution team for the DSS includes Me Ernest, O.M. Owan Esq, U.M. Bulla Esq, C.S. Eze PhD, and E.G. Orubor Esq, all based at the DSS headquarters in Maitama, Abuja.
The charges, dated February 2026, state that El-Rufai’s actions, as admitted on television, amounted to unlawful use of technical systems and equipment for unauthorized access to communications, an offense punishable under Nigerian law.
El-Rufai’s counsel, Mr. Ubong Esop Akpan, had earlier explained that the former governor received the EFCC’s invitation while abroad.
 He described the initial demand for his immediate attendance as “inherently illogical and impractical,” adding that it “defies reason, as it presumes instantaneous compliance from an individual outside the jurisdiction, without regard for logistical realities or legal fairness.”
Akpan said El-Rufai had formally communicated with the EFCC since December 2025, assuring compliance upon his return.
“Yesterday, we explicitly notified them that he would voluntarily appear at their office by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, February 16, 2026, specifying the precise place and time for addressing the invitation,” he said.
He condemned the previous attempt to arrest El-Rufai as “arbitrary conduct” that undermined procedural integrity and infringed upon constitutional provisions guaranteeing fundamental freedoms.
See also  EFCC Cracks Down on Benue Governor's Aide for Alleged Sextortion, Cyberbullying

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Tinubu Not Renaming Nigeria or Scrapping Sharia, Presidency Fires Back at Viral Fake News

The Presidency on Thursday dismissed as “false, dangerous and provocative” a viral...

Breaking: Court Voids INEC’s Shortened Timelines for 2027 Party Primaries, Candidate Substitution

By Omoyeni Ojeifo An Abuja Federal High Court has ruled that INEC...

Just In: President Tinubu Appoints Segun Aina to Succeed Oloyede as JAMB Registrar

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Segun Aina, a professor of Computer Engineering...

APC Drops Shehu Buba, Clears Tuggar, Bala Wunti for High-Stakes Bauchi 2027 Race

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has reportedly cleared Nigeria’s former Minister of...