Highlight

FCTA Strike: NLC Defies Court Order, Tells Workers to Continue Action

"We hereby reaffirm and reinforce the directive to all affiliate unions in the FCT to not only proceed with the ongoing action but to intensify and sustain it until all workers' demands are fully addressed"

657
Advertisement




The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has signaled its intent to continue industrial action in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), despite a court order to halt the strike.

The dispute centres on unpaid wages and benefits, alongside broader calls for improved workplace welfare.

“We hereby reaffirm and reinforce the directive to all affiliate unions in the FCT to not only proceed with the ongoing action but to intensify and sustain it until all workers’ demands are fully addressed,” wrote Acting General Secretary Benson Upah in a circular released Tuesday night.

Upah emphasized that the strike would continue until issues such as unpaid wage awards, promotion arrears, and non-remittance of pension and National Housing Fund deductions are resolved.

“This struggle demands unity, discipline, and unwavering commitment. All affiliates are expected to comply strictly with this directive in the collective interest of the Nigerian working class,” he said.

The NLC also warned against any attempt to withdraw from the strike, stating that such action would embolden further violations against workers.

“An injury to one is an injury to all,” Upah added.

The strike has been ongoing since January 19, with workers demanding better working conditions and payment of outstanding wages and benefits.

The FCT Minister, Mr. Nyesom Wike, had approached the National Industrial Court to stop the strike, but the NLC has vowed to defy the court order.

Wike emphasized that disobeying a valid court order has consequences, stating, “Are there no consequences for disobeying the law? Must we allow people break the law flagrantly? I have given them a window but from tomorrow, if they don’t come to work, we will apply the big stick.”

See also  Haaland wins PFA men's Player of the year award

The minister also warned that anyone attempting to block the gate would be made a scapegoat, saying, “From tomorrow (Wednesday), if we see anybody who wants to block the gate, they will be made a scapegoat. The law must take its place.”

Wike maintained that the FCTA had been open to dialogue, with discussions held between labour representatives and management.

“We have been disposed to dialogue. They have met with management, so what are the issues? If genuinely they want dialogue, then we’ll talk,” he said.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Flood Disaster Hits Abuja: 74 Vehicles Submerged as Several Areas Ravaged

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The aftermath of the severe weekend flood in Gudu,...

ABU Law Students Link Classroom to Industry, Celebrate Mining Titan Abubakar Omar

To bridge the gap between legal education and industry practice, the Law...

No More Exhaustion: New Guidelines Limit Resident Doctors to 48 Hours a Week

By Omoyeni Ojeifo After years of negotiations with the Federal Government over...

Wunti’s Expertise Positions Nigeria to Maximise Return to World Energy Council — Former OPEC Chief, Aduda

Nigeria’s return to the World Energy Council (WEC), backed by the appointment...